British South Africa Company
Office of Mines – Certificate of Payment of Fine (1149)
- Date of Issue: May, 1904
- Dept: Department of Mines
- Reqn.: 1149
- Quantity: 1,000
|59||Annasona G K Co Ltd||08/01/1923||Bulawayo
Blue Gum Mine
Blue Gum Mine was located on the farm of Zhombe. The Blue Gum Mine was first worked in 1913 and 1914, when 243 ounces of gold were extracted from 1,250 tons of ore.
In 1939 a radio telephone was installed at the mine which was of benefit, particularly when the Umniati River flooded.
The Telegraph Office was in operation during the construction of the dam on the Ngondoma River, 5 miles (9-km) NW of Empress Mine in the Gokwe area.
- 1941.11.17 – Opened as Telegraph Office.
- 1962.01.12 – Closed.
No postmarks have been seen.
- Reports of the Chief Mining Engineer, 1939
- Rhodesia Geological Survey, Volumes 22-39, 1927
Alaska Mine is large open pit copper mine 13 miles (20 km) NNW of Sinoia. It is believed it named after the rich goldfields which had been discovered about the same time in Alaska, North America. In pre-colonial times, miners were believed to have mined about a million tonnes of ore at the mine and it was regarded as the largest of ancient workings in Zimbabwe. It is the centre of smelting and refining operations for all the Lomagundi copper mines.
Messina (Transvaal) Development Company (MTD), associated with Mangula Mines Ltd but separately incorporated in Rhodesia as Lomagundi Smelting and Mining Ltd, started producing copper in 1959. MTD built a smelter nearby in 1966 and a refinery in 1980 but the mine closed in 1977. Other mines in the district also produced copper flotation concentrate which was brought to Alaska for smelting and refining. These Mines included Mhangura copper mine in Mhangura and Shackleton mine near Lions Den.
The smelter and refinery closed in late 2000 by which time most of the mines feeding it had to close, devastating the local economy and plunging the town’s inhabitants into poverty. Periodic reports of Chinese investment reopening the mine and smelter have not come to fruition.
Reconstruction of the Alaska Smelting Plant has started nearly two decades after the facility owned by the Zimbabwe Mining Development Corporation, stopped operations. Alaska was shut down at the turn of the millennium following the closure of Mhangura Copper Mines-also owned by the ZMDC, which provided concentrate for the smelter.
The Postal Agency operated from the Alaska Trading Store.
West Nicholson Gold Mining Co Ltd
The West Nicholson Gold Mining Co Ltd was registered 14 April 1898 to acquire 112 gold reef claims that formed the West Nicholson and Olympus Mines in the Gwanda District of Rhodesia, together with all timber, agricultural, water and grassing rights.
In 1905 the undertakings were acquired by East Gwanda Mines Ltd.
East Gwanda Mines Ltd
East Gwanda Mines Ltd was registerd 18 January 1905 to acquire the undertakings of the Geelong, Eagle-Venture, Jessie and West Nicholson Gold Mining Co Ltd. The property was comprised of 285 claims (gold, silver, copper) and machinery site of ten acres in the Gwanda District.
The principal properties were:
Work was concentrated on West Nicholson, Jessie and Valley, with the remaining three as tributes.
It was court ordered to windup in November 1912.
West Nicholson Mine
West Nicholson is named after Andy Nicholson, an early prospector who entered the country with the Pioneer Column and was responsible for mining exploration in the area. The gold mine is 7 miles (11-km) SE of Geelong on the banks of the Umzingwane River.
In 1898 the West Nicholson Gold Mining Co Ltd was registered acquired 112 gold reef claims that formed the West Nicholson-Olympus Mines. During 1902, Mr Huntley, a mining engineer, took over development of the mine and it was revealed the existence of three parallel reefs and the prospects of the mine were regarded as being in every way satisfactory.
On 31st October, 1902 it was estimated that there were 70,000 tons of ore in sight, valued at from 8 to 12 dwts. per ton, besides a vast tonnage of lower grade ore. Fifty extra stamps were ordered to be added to the existing 10-stamp mill.
In 1905, East Gwanda Mines Ltd acquired the undertakings of the mine from the West Nicholson Gold Mining Co Ltd. The railway line from Gwanda to West Nicholson line was completed in the same year. Mine milled ores were shipped by train from the Geelong and Jessie mines.
By 1908 it was a 60-stamp mill. There were about a hundred Europeans there, a resident doctor, a native hospital, and a hotel. The mine closed in 1911.
Forbes Rhodesia Syndicate Ltd
Forbes Rhodesia Syndicate Ltd was registered 21 February 1895 in London. In 1903, it floated the Dumbleton Gold Mining Co Ltd.
It was reconstructed under the same name in Rhodesia 8 March 1906 to acquire licences and rights granted to volunteers and others in Mashonaland and Matabeleland. In 1908 the undertaking of the Rhodesia Tributing Syndicate Ltd.
By 1911, the company owned three town stands in Bulawayo (one with house erected), and shares in mining companies and interests in mining claims in Victoria, Selukwe, Balla Balla and Bulawayo. A five stamp Chilian mill and cyanide plant were erected on the Veracity Mine.
The Antenior (Matabele) Gold Mines Ltd
The Antenior (Matabele) Gold Mines Ltd company was registered 2 March 1899. The company was created to work Antenior Mine and began doing so in 1901
On 26 January 1910 it was resolved to wind the company up voluntarily.