Turk Mine is a village that grew up around a gold mine of the same name and serves as an administrative centre for the surrounding mining and ranching area. It is located about 56 km north-east of Bulawayo on Hunstman Farm, on the road to Lonely Mine.
It has the potential capacity to produce 35,000 to 50,000 ounces of gold annually. At maximum output, the life of the mine is approximately 20 years, which is supported by an independently audited resource estimate with gold grades between 4 – 6 g/t. New Dawn Mining Corp currently owns 100% of the Turk-Angelus Mine. It is known as The Turk – Angelus Mine and is currently expanding to 22,000 to 23,000 ounces of annualized gold production.
- 1927.10.22 – Opened.
- 1936.00.00 – New post office building opened.
- 1936.03.01 – Upgraded to a money and telegraph office. Mail service by motor service from Bulawayo.
Lonely Mine is a village in Matabeleland North, Zimbabwe and is located about 84 km north-east of Bulawayo, just north of Inyati and a mile from Inyati Mission. It was established in 1906 when gold was discovered in the area.
The first gold outputs were in 1907 and for the first 20 years the output was half an ounce to the ton, although half of that time it was an ounce to the ton. The mine was closed in 1944 but later re-instated and became the largest gold producer in the Bubi greenstone belt area until the mid-1990’s.
In 2012 Lonely Mine was acquired by Australian company ElDore Mining Corporation (EDM) for US$4.4million. EDM changed its name to Ardiden Limited in 2014. Gold, nickel and tungsten are still mined in the area today.
Initially, mail was delivered by coach to Inyati. Between 7 September 1914 to 30 April 1916, a motor service delivered mail. On 22 September 1925 this was replaced by a daily mail service from Bulawayo.
- 00.11.1911 – Opened as a Post Office
- 31.12.1911 – Regraded as a Postal Agency
- 27.03.1912 – Opened as a Postal Agency
- 27.11.1912 – Regraded as a Money and Telegraph Office
- 01.07.1944 – Post & Telegraph Agency
- 29.12.1978 – Closed
Jumbo Mine was once known as Mazoe Siding, as at one time it was the terminus of the Mount Hampden rail line.
Jumbo Mine was established in 1890. Sir Charles Coghlan, a former member of “A” Troop of the Occupation Column, first pegged the Jumbo Mine in 1891. Jumbo Mine opened in April 1904 and milling stopped in 1917. During the period 1917 – 1932 treating of sands only took place.
The mine is now known as Mazowe Mine and is owned and developed by Metallion Corporation.
Originally Jumbo Mine. The postal services restarted in 1933 under the name Jumbo.
- 1903.08.14 – Opened as Telegraph Office.
- 1904.04.01 – Opened as Post Office. Mail service by cart or coach to Mazoe.
- 1909.09.20 – Regraded as Money and Telegraph Office.
- 1912.04.01 – Mail service by cart or coach to Passford Siding.
- 1913.02.10 – Mail service by cart or coach to Jumbo Station.
- 1916.10.31 – Regraded as Post and Telegraph Agency.
- 1919.04.30 – Closed.
Gold mining was been carried out in the area around Penhalonga for a considerable period of time and the Mutare River that flows down from the Penhalonga Valley had rich alluvial gold in its gravel beds. Evidence exists of ancient alluvial gold workings along the Mutare and its tributaries, the Imbeza and Tsambe Rivers.
The two earliest gold claims in the Umtali district were laid out in 1888 by British mining engineer James Henry Jeffreys. The district was then considered to be part of province of Manica, Portuguese East Africa. Jeffreys decided to name the mining claims after officials from the Companhia de Moçambique and the first gold claim was named Penhalonga, after Count Penhalonga, chairman of Companhia de Moçambique, and the second claim named for Baron de Rezende, the Mozambique Company’s Director of Operations on Africa.
In 1890, the area was annexed by the Pioneer Column, an armed force representing the British South Africa Company (BSAC). The BSAC representatives for the region (Archibald Ross Colquhoun and Frederick Courteney Selous) “got a concession” from Jeffreys in September, 1890, effectively taking control of the mining tracts in the name of Cecil Rhodes. Jeffreys however remained on at the mine, and played a major role in its development.
The Penhalonga Mine was officially opened in 1895. In the early 1900’s over 160 gold mines were pegged and worked. . The mine closed in 1943.
Roan Antelope Copper Mines Ltd
In 1902, prospector/explorer, William Collier, shot and killed a Roan Antelope on the banks of the Luanshya River, discovering a copper deposit in the process. The antelope fell to the ground, its head resting on a rock where an exposed seam of copper ore was visible. The mining company eventually formed to exploit Collier’s find was Roan Antelope Copper Mines Ltd.
In 1927, Roan Antelope Copper Mines was incorporated by Rhodesian Selection Trust Group to develop a mine, concentrator and smelter at the site. The first ore was hoisted 4 years later commencing production that continued until 2000. On 1st July, 1954, Roan Antelope Copper Mines Ltd ceased to be organised under the British Corporations Act and became incorporated under the Northern Rhodesia Company Ordinance. The peak production was in 1960 with 105,000 tonnes of copper.
The Zambian copper industry, including Roan Antelope, was nationalised in 1970, culminating in the formation of Zambian Consolidated Copper Mines in 1982. However, following the privatisation program that the Zambian government instituted in 1997, Roan Antelope was bought by an Indian based group that formed Roan Antelope Mining Corporation of Zambia, which was placed in receivership in late 2000.
Following heavy rains in 2001, the Luanshya dam overflowed, the Luanshya workings were flooded and the mine was officially closed permanently.
Mufulira Mine discovered in June 1923 when two experienced prospectors, Moir and Grey, who were working for the Rhodesian Congo Border Concession, found copper carbon stains.
It was only in 1928, that serious work commenced on Mufulira Mine. This was partly because of transport problems and administrative changes, but local beliefs also delayed work.
Because of World Depression, all operations on the mine in Mufulira were suspended in 1931. The mine started producing again in 1933 with the introduction of backfill and cave mining in 1944.
Zambia In the Sun
On the 25th September 1970 an underground breach of a tailings dam occurred at the Mufulira Mine. As the night shift crew were on duty the tailings dam above them collapsed causing nearly 1 million tonnes of tailings to fill the mine workings killing 89 miners.
On 1st April 2000, Mopani Copper Mines PLC purchased the ZCCM assets at Mufulira and Nkana, consisting of the underground mine, concentrator, smelter, refinery and cobalt plant, from the government.
The company installed ISA smelt furnace, Matte Settling Electric Furnace, oxygen plant, at the Mufulira smelter during 2004 and 2005
Globe and Phoenix Mine
The Globe and Phoenix Gold Mine in Que Que (Kwekwe) was founded in 1894 by two prospectors, one Edward Thornton Pearson and another Joseph Schukala. The two gentlemen rediscovered a series of ancient mines which had been worked on for centuries by the Shona in Zimbabwe.
Legend has it that Pearson and Schukala were shown the ancient mines by a middle-aged Shona man who they gave two blankets before he could lead them where the ancient workings were. Widespread mining mainly for gold, copper and iron was done by the Shona long before contact with the European.
Olympic Gold Mines NL (OGM) is the holding company for 100% of KweKwe Consolidated Gold Mines Pvt Ltd (Zimbabwe) (KCGM) which collectively trades as Globe and Phoenix Gold Mining Company Limited (GPGMCL).
OGM was previously owned by Delta Gold NL and was fully purchased in 2002 by BioMetallurgical, a private mining and engineering company.
GPGMCL is focused on the major new development of the Globe and Phoenix mine. Having acquired, over the past 12 years, the majority of the mineral rights on the geological strike North of the Globe and Phoenix in KweKwe, the plan is to develop a decline from the ANZAC mine approx 8 km NNW of the Globe and Phoenix mine.
The decline will pass along the geological strike and underneath over 100 old shafts and 1000’s of small workings from which several hundred thousand ounces were also mined during 1900 to 1960’s. It should be noted that the second and third largest gold producers in the KweKwe region are the Gaika and Indarama mines which lay immediately South and North respectively of the GPGMCL decline Project.