Blue Gum Mine

Blue Gum Mine

 

Blue Gum Mine was located on the farm of Zhombe. The Blue Gum Mine was first worked in 1913 and 1914, when 243 ounces of gold were extracted from 1,250 tons of ore.

In 1939 a radio telephone was installed at the mine which was of benefit, particularly when the Umniati River flooded.

Postal Services

The Telegraph Office was in operation during the construction of the dam on the Ngondoma River, 5 miles (9-km) NW of Empress Mine in the Gokwe area.

  • 1941.11.17 – Opened as Telegraph Office.
  • 1962.01.12 – Closed.

Postmarks

No postmarks have been seen.

Reference

  • Reports of the Chief Mining Engineer, 1939
  • Rhodesia Geological Survey, Volumes 22-39, 1927