A. F. Philip & Co Ltd

A. F. Philip & Co Ltd

Bulawayo/Livingstone/Salisbury

The Philips were descendants of the Scottish missionary and superintendent of the London Missionary Society, Dr John Philip. The business began as timber importers in Port Elizabeth and extended it through Bulawayo to Livingstone where they had a branch by 1914. Their timber manager was W E Tongue, and their manager in Livingstone was C S ‘Charlie’ Knight.

In 1916, a partnership between Messrs Tombous, Salisbury, Jacobs Limited, Messrs A. F. Philips and Co (Bulawayo), and W. E. Tongue (Southern Rhodesia) formed the Zambezi Sawmills  to exploit forests of Rhodesian Teak on the north bank of the Zambezi above Livingstone.

A.F. Philip & Company became United Builders Merchants Ltd. in 1960 and is based in Harare, Zimbabwe. United Builders Merchants Ltd. formerly operated as subsidiary of Radar Holdings Ltd. United Builders Merchants Ltd. distributes building materials and hardware products in Zimbabwe. It offers building, hardware, and plumbing products.

Branches

Reference

  • An African Trading Empire: The Story of Susman Brothers and Wulfson, 1901-2005 – Hugh Macmillian
Contributors
  • James Gavin

FB

Payne’s Studios Ltd

Payne’s Studios Ltd

Bulawayo

Edwin ‘Ted’ A. Payne was the first regular newsreel cameraman in South Africa. His weekly ‘Payne’s Mirror’ first appeared in 1912, a year before the first ‘African Mirror.’

He originally had a photographic studio in Long St, Cape Town which he later transferred to No. 77E Main Street (East), Bulawayo, Southern Rhodesia. Friend Lawrence Green remembered Payne’s box camera and large glass plates and reels of film that were screened at Wolfram’s and other Cape Town bioscopes.

By 1940, the Bulawayo business became known as Payne’s Studios Ltd.

Postcards

It is believed that Edwin Payne was the photographer and publisher of the Camera House series of postcards.

Other Series

Reference

Contributors:

  • Andrew Wilkie
  • James Gavin
  • Terry Cowlard
  • Keith Harrop
  • Walter Herzik
  • Malcolm Murphy

South African Canvas Co., Ltd

South African Canvas Co., Ltd

Salisbury

The South African Canvas Co, Ltd has been operating in various forms since 1932 under different ownership and management and continues to operate today as SA Canvas – The Canvas Corporation.

Reference

South African Tourist Corporation

South African Tourist Corporation

Salisbury

The South African Tourist Corporation (SATOUR) was established after 1947 by an act of the South African Parliament to promote tourism in South Africa. Visitor numbers began to increase after WWII due to the re-institution of steamship and air services.

SATOUR was the offspring of the publicity arm of South African Railways and Harbours in 1947, which then developed into a government agency, ran, and effectively staffed, by civil servants.

Reference

Contributors
  • James Gavin

FB

Ambassador Hotel

Ambassador Hotel

Salisbury

The Ambassador Hotel was built in 1955 and has been entertaining guests for decades and has fostered a reputation for hospitality and professionalism that has impressed national and international guests.

It is now known as the New Ambassador Hotel.

Postcards:

Reference:

FB

Allenwest (Zambia) Ltd

Allenwest (Zambia) Ltd

Kitwe

Allenwest (Z) Ltd was incorporated in the republic of Zambia on April 21st 1965 as a subsidiary of  Allenwest Electrical Limited of Brighton in the UK. The company is one of the pioneering electrical engineering companies in the country.

In the mid nineteen eighties the company became wholly Zambian owned under the Chipoza Holdings Group of Companies. Allenwest (Z) Limited is the country appointed  distributor for Allenwest Electrical of the UK and GE Industrial Systems of South Africa.

Allenwest (Z) Ltd is involved in the manufacture of Factory Built Assemblies (FBAs) and special purpose control panels to high quality and technical standards. The company is also a vendor of control and automation products, switchgear, electrical equipment and electric motors. Some of these products are listed hereunder.

Contributors
  • James Gavin

Clark’s Curios

Clark’s Curios

Victoria Falls

clarkoutsidehut

P M Clark and Clark’s Curious

Clark’s Curios was established by Percy Missen Clark in 1903.

The original site, known as ‘The Huts’ was located opposite the railway station, which in those early days of town planning was the centre of the small community. The mud hut doubled as his photography studio and booking office.

Around 1904, Clark soon developed a portfolio of photographs of the Falls, entitled ‘Souvenir of the Victoria Falls’, of which there were several variations produced over the years.

His son, Victor Clark, took over the photography business and continued producing the album in later years. The business was later known as Clark’s Curio Store.

First Day Covers

Postcards

Other Publishers

Reference

  • Journal of the Rhodesian Study Circle No.236
  • www.tothevictoriafalls.com
  • Guide to the Victoria Falls (Fifth Edition 1925) – Percy M. Clark
  • Autobiography of an Old Drifter (1936) – Percy M. Clark
Contributors
  • James Gavin

Radio Ltd

Radio Ltd

Salisbury

FB

Grand Hotel

Grand Hotel

Bulawayo

Contributors
  • James Gavin
  • Keith Harrop

FB

Rhodesian And Nyasaland Airways Ltd

Rhodesian And Nyasaland Airways Ltd

Salisbury

 

Rhodesia and Nyasaland Airways was formed in October, 1933 by the merger of two small privately owned companies & went into voluntary liquidation on 8th July, 1946.

 First Flights

References

Contributors
  • James Gavin
  • Peter Gorton

FB

1 46 47 48 49 50 51