Postmarks: Craigmore
Postmarks
Craigmore
- D2
- D4
The Rhodesian Study Circle is a philatelic website for the areas of Rhodesia, Northern Rhodesia, Southern Rhodesia, British Central Africa and Nyasaland, Malawi, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Craigmore
A special postmark was released for the opening of the Matabeleland Philatelic Exhibition (MATAPEX 75). The opening of the exhibition was on the same day as 1968 stamp issue, Matabeleland 1893 – 1968.
The postmark can be found used with dates from 4th – 6th November.
Umtali
Mount Selinda, at an altitude of 1,100 metres, is a village and mission station in the province of Manicaland in the eastern mountains of Zimbabwe. Located close to the Mozambique border, it lies in an area of outstanding natural beauty. Mount Selinda sits on an east-facing slope, on the very edge of the Chirinda Forest Botanical Reserve – the southern most tropical rainforest in Africa.
For centuries, the local Ndau people called the Mount Selinda area “Chirinda”, meaning “lookout” or “vantage point.” The Shangani people to the south pronounced Chirinda as “Silinda” and the name “Selinda” is clearly an English corruption of the Shangani word. The first mention of the name “Mount Selinda” appears to have been in the late nineteenth century when the land in the area was claimed by European settlers. The American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions approached Cecil John Rhodes of the British South Africa Company, seeking land on which to establish their mission.
Rhodes himself granted them land in the Chirinda area, much of the land situated on an already-existing farm called Mount Selinda. Although there are no documents in the Deeds Office reflecting it, it would appear that a Mr. Steyn occupied the farm at the time and sold it to the mission for a sum of £300 (three hundred pounds).
In 1892 a Mr Wilder, Mr Bunker and Mr Thompson commenced the establishment of the Mount Silinda Mission (historically the name Silinda was adopted by the mission and the name Selinda was the name of the farm). But it was not until 1901 that the American Board Mission finally obtained legal possession of the farm Mount Selinda under Pioneer Title.
On 1st April, 1931 the Post Office became known as Mount Silinda. The name returned to Mount Selinda in 16th June, 1958.
Mount Selinda
| No. | Top of Canceller | Bottom of Canceller | Start | End |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| 383/001 | MOUNT SELINDA | RHODESIA | MR 21/98 | (OC)26/28 |
| 383/001a | MOUNT SELINDA | RHODESIA | AU/blank | |
| 383/002 | MOUNT SELINDA | S.RHODESIA | 19 JUN 09 | 22 JAN 31 |
| 383/003 | MOUNT SELINDA | S.RHODESIA | 27 AUG 1928 | 12 SEP 1931 |
| 383/003a | MT. SELINDA | S.RHODESIA | 22 NOV/49 | |
| 383/004 | MOUNT SELINDA | S.RHODESIA | 12 NOV 1958 | 16 DEC 1965 |
| 383/004a | MOUNT SELINDA | S.RHODESIA | 12 NOV 1958 | 16 DEC 1965 |
| 383/005 | MT. SELINDA | S.RHODESIA | 16 JUN 55 | 13 MAR 59 |
| 383/006 | MOUNT SELINDA | S.RHODESIA | 25 FEB 57 | 28 JUN 61 |
Gwanda
Bingale is a small settlement SW of Gwanda in the Manama area.
The Post Office Agency was located in the local trading store.
Bingale
| No. | Top of Canceller | Bottom of Canceller | Start | End |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| 048/001 | Bingale | Rhodesia | 28 MAY 66 | 21 NOV 67 |
| Bingale | 1 MAR 70 | 26 JUL 76 | ||
| Bingale | 14 MAY 86 |
Abercorn
| No. | Top of Canceller | Bottom of Canceller | Start | End |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| 001/001 | Abercorn | Rhodesia | 31 JAN 99 | 11 NOV 01 |
Emerald Hill
| No. | Top of Canceller | Bottom of Canceller | Start | End |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| 142/01 | Emerald Hill | Rhodesia | 9 FEB 1966 | 12 MAR 1979 |
| Emerald Hill | 15 MAR 1979 | -8 JUL 1989 | ||
| 142/02 | Emerald Hill | Rhodesia | 9 JUN 66 | 7 MAR 79 |
| Emerald Hill | 9 MAR 79 | 2 APR 98 | ||
| 142/03 | Emerald Hill | Rhodesia | 26 APR 68 | 28 FEB 79 |
| Emerald Hill | 6 MAR 79 | 29 MAY 96 | ||
| 142/04 | Emerald Hill | Rhodesia | 1 DE/1965 | 2 AP 68 |
| 142/05 | Postage Paid | Emerald Hill Rhod. | 19 FEB 1970 | 13 MAR 1979 |
| Postage Paid | Emerald Hill | ** *** 1981 |
Salisbury
Rio Tinto Southern Rhodesia Ltd was incorporated on 29th August, 1956. It was set up initially to develop and mine the Empress Nickel deposit in Gatooma and was the first mining operation to be set up outside Europe by Rio Tinto plc in March, 1957. By 1959 it acquired the Cam and Motor Mines at Eiffel Flats.
From 1965-1979, Rio Tinto (Rhodesia) Ltd detached itself from the parent company, grew into the single largest money earner and sanctions-buster, exporting millions of pounds worth of nickel, emeralds and tin, as well as becoming one of Zimbabwe-Rhodesia’s most successful manufacturers.
In September 1968, Rio Tinto (Rhodesia) Ltd closed the Cam Mine and established the Empress Nickel Mine. By 1969, the Rio Industries was established and in 1975 the Renco Mine was purchased. Renco mine was eventually opened in 1982 and the Empress Mine closed.
Rio Tinto Zimbabwe Ltd separated from Rio Tinto plc in 2004 and became the wholly owned Zimbabwean company (RioZim Ltd) that produced gold, coal, toll refines nickel and copper. Rio Tinto exited Zimbabwe in 2015.
1951 – Nyasaland Diamond Jubilee Exhibition
The Nyasaland Postal Department provided facilities at the 1951 Nyasaland Diamond Jubilee Exhibition for sending commemorative covers stamped with Diamond Jubilee stamps.
The covers were stamped with the original ‘Chiromo’ barred-circle obliterator (the first obliterator used in Nyasaland). The mail was then dispatched to the Blantyre Post Office by a messenger dressed in a uniform similar to that worn by the mail-carrier in the early days.
Nodder and Twynam believe that the obliterator was actually an ‘O’ with a nick made to produce the ‘C’.
A special postmark was also used as part of the associated stamp release.