Travelling Post Office: 1953 Royal Tour

Travelling Post Office

1953 Royal Tour

 

According to the Rhodesian Herald, covers were to be sent to the Secretary, Royal Tour Covers, Staff Room 4, P.O. Box 61, Causeway. They were to arrive between the 2nd and 12th of July. Any requests after this date were not to be dealt with.

Although there was a a post office on the train, it was only for the passengers and staff use. None of the letters sent to Causeway travelled on the train.

Postmarks

Three royal Tour cachets have been identified, they appear to be the same as Types 1 and 3 of the 1947 Royal Visit. However, it is suggested that all three 1947 cancellers were used.

A single registration cachet was used. Again, this is believed to be the same one used for the 1947 Tour. The cachet is applied with violet ink and the registration number being a mechanical stamp with black ink.

However, violet-black examples do exist. The example above has the registration number hand-written. It is suggested these were posted on the Royal Train rather than Causeway.

Travelling Post Office: 1934 Royal Tour

Travelling Post Office

1934 Royal Tour

 

The Post Office was situated on the Pilot Train which was available for telegrams (inland and overseas) and mail matter that could be handed in.

Letters and general matter posted on the train and addressed to destinations outside of South Africa were dispatched by the fastest route at each stopping place. Otherwise letters were collected by Post Offices at each stop.

Postmarks

All mail on the Royal Train within was cancelled with the same canceller, no matter the country. The canceller was engraved by the Royal Mint.

A special Registration cancel was also used.

Royal Tour: 1934 Prince George – Commercial Covers (NR)

Royal Tour

1934 – Commercial Covers (Northern Rhodesia)

Royal Tour: 1934 Prince George – Commercial Covers (SR)

Royal Tour

1934 – Commercial Covers (Southern Rhodesia)

Travelling Post Office: 1925 Royal Tour

Travelling Post Office

1925 Royal Tour

The Royal Train had its own Post Office, situated within a travelling post office van attached to a pilot train that kept ahead of the Royal Train by around 30 minutes. The post office was open 24 hours per day.

Approximately 9,000 articles (including Official Mail) were handled by the office, averaging 100 articles per day.

Postal Staff
  • C J Swift – Postmaster (Rhodesia)
  • Mr Harpham – Assistant
  • Mr Murrell – Assistant
  • Mr Cripham – Assistant

Postmarks

All mail on the Royal Train within was cancelled with the same canceller, no matter the country. The canceller was engraved by the Royal Mint.

A purple cachet was also applied in Southern Rhodesia between 3rd July and 16th July.

Philatelic Items

Nil Desperandum Mine

Nil Desperandum Mine

Shabani District

Residential township eight miles from Bulawayo.

Post Office

History
  • 1930.02.17 – Opened as postal agency under Shabani (later Gwelo).
Service
  • 1939.00.00 – Mail service by cyclist from Shabani.

Postmarks

TypeSizeEarliest DateLatest DateNotes
D223/11/193017/08/1938
D413/11/193901/09/1958

Waterford

Waterford

 

Residential township eight miles from Bulawayo.

Post Office

History
  • 1957.07.01 – Opened as postal agency under Bulawayo.

Postmarks

TypeSizeEarliest DateLatest DateNotes
D204/07/1957

Wanderer Mine

Wanderer Mine

Selukwe District

 

Post Office

History
  • 1936.04.01 – Opened.
  • 1952.00.00 – Closed when mine closed.
Service
  • 1936.04.01 – Mail by cyclist to Selukwe.
TypeSizeEarliest DateLatest DateNotes
D231/05/193608/11/1950
D300/09/193901/12/1939

Beatrice Mine

Beatrice Mine

Hartley District

Beatrice Mine was in operation from 1895 to 1945 and was named after Beatrice Borrow, the sister of Lieutenant Henry J. Borrow, a member of the Pioneer Column.The mine was pegged by Frank Johnson & Company, Borrow being a partner of the firm.

The Beatrice Mine was originally floated by The Beatrice (Rhodesia) Co Ltd, in 1899. The company had an authorised capital of £200,000, of which £60,000 was issued for working capital. A certain amount of development work was done, and a ten-stamp mill, cyanide works, and other plants were erected.

However, owing to financial difficulties, the company let the property to tributors. After letting to the tributors, the company went into voluntary liquidation on 9 December 1908, the concern afterwards passing into private ownership.

In 1910 the mine was bought by the General Mining and Finance Corporation.Elaborate pumps were installed and the mine was further developed proving five shoots of ore.

Postal Services

The postal service was under Salisbury. Originally named Beatrice, the name was changed to Beatrice Mine from 1911 until 1953.

  • 1911.10.11 – Opened at a Post Office Agency and renamed Beatrice Mine. Mail service by runner to Salisbury.
  • 1912.11.04 – Mail service by coach.
  • 1915.07.21 – Regraded to a Money and Telegraph Office.
  • 1918.05.29 – Mail service by runner resumes.
  • 1920.05.00 – Mail service bi-weekly by runner.
  • 1925.05.00 – Mail service bi-weekly by motor service.
  • 1953.11.02 – Name reverts to Beatrice.

Postmarks

References

FB

Beatrice

Beatrice

Hartley District

 

Beatrice is a village named after the Beatrice gold mine, around which it grew. The mine was in operation from 1895 to 1945 and was named after Beatrice Borrow, the sister of Lieutenant Henry J. Borrow, a member of the Pioneer Column.

European settlers also established Beatrice Farm, a large ranch that may have been populated with cattle which they had looted from the Ndebele. 

Post Office

History
  • 1901.00.00 – Opened as a telegraph office.
  • 1905.03.31 – Telegraph office closed.
  • 1911.10.11 – Renamed Beatrice Mine.
  • 1953.00.00 – New post office building opened and name reverted to Beatrice.

Postmarks

TypeSizeEarliest DateLatest DateNotes
D321/11/195321/11/1953
D423/07/195510/11/1965
D529/04/195410/11/1965
1 2 3 4 5 6 10