Postmarks: Belmont

Postmarks

Belmont

TypeEarliest DateLatest DateNotes
D230/07/195513/08/1955
D317/11/195510/11/1965
D417/07/195701/01/1960
D530/04/196025/02/1964
D609/01/195617/04/1956
D716/05/195611/10/1965
D815/12/195803/12/1962
D924/11/196210/11/1965
D1010/11/196510/11/1965
D1109/05/196110/11/1965
D12

Machine Cancellations: Belmont

Machine Cancellations

Belmont

TypeEarliest DateLatest DateNotes
M128/12/195410/11/1965
M215/06/196315/06/1963
M319/07/195723/09/1970
M429/04/195809/09/1963
M531/08/195718/05/1962
M601/04/195903/02/1960
M721/09/195904/08/1960
M812/01/196020/01/1960
M909/02/196009/02/1960
M1023/02/196026/02/1960
M1111/03/196016/03/1960
M1421/09/196123/03/1962
M1509/04/196209/04/1962
M1714/08/195717/10/1962
M1918/02/196318/02/1963
M2111/10/196311/10/1963
M2311/02/196417/02/1964
M2412/03/196421/03/1964
M2604/07/196504/07/1965

Bindura

Bindura

Mazoe District

 

Bindura was originally named Kimberley Reefs after the gold mine which was opened in 1901. It changed its name to Bindura on 1st March, 1913 when the railway arrived. Bindura is probably an Anglicised version of the Shona Phrase, pindura mhuka, meaning “turn the game.” The first basic school in Bindura opened in 1912.

It is now the administrative capital of the province. Bindura Nickel, a subsidiary of Mwana Africa plc, mines nickel, copper and cobalt in the area and operates a smelter refinery just south of the town. Cotton and maize is grown intensely in the region

Post Office

Mail service was originally by coach to Jumbo Mine, then by rail to Salisbury. In April 1913, the mail service was by rail to Salisbury. Between 1935-36, it was a weekly motor service to Salisbury. Harold William Groom (1893-1967) was the Post Master of Bindura in the early years and is noted as a postal official serving in World War I.

  • 1913.03.01 – Name change from Kimberley Reefs to Bindura
  • 1913.03.01 – Regraded as a Money and Telegraph Office

Postmarks

Contributors
  • Annmarie Groom

Postmarks: Bindura

Postmarks

Bindura

TypeEarliest DateLatest DateNotes
D222/11/190813/01/1913
D406/04/191316/06/1956
D513/01/192914/11/1956
D621/01/193702/06/1956
D802/11/195923/04/1965
D921/11/196010/11/1965
D1002/11/196110/11/1965

Bushtick

Bushtick

Umzingwane District

 

Bushtick Mine was a gold mining operation established by the British South Africa Company in the 1920’s. The mine was a substantial producer of gold and was initially thought to be part of a significant deposit of precious metal in the area but this did not prove to be the case. It thrived during the period 1932 to 1947, peaking in 1938, and closing down in 1951.

After the mine was closed, its facilities were to become the basis of Falcon College, a higher education level school for boys aged 12-18.

Frederick Courtney Selous, the noted scout, hunter, conservationist and adventurer, had his farm nearby.

Post Office

History
  • 1911.03.31 – Telegraph Office
  • 1921.00.00 – Reduced from a Money and Telegraph Office to a Post and Telegraph Agency.
  • 1935.00.00 – Re-opened as a Postal Agency.
  • 1948.00.00 – Postal Agency under Essexvale.
Service
  • 1911.03.31 – By cart to Bushtick Siding, then by rail.

Postmarks

TypeEarliest DateLatest DateNotes
D202/07/191015/03/1952
D317/12/194917/12/1949

 

1 10 11 12 13 14