Filabusi

Filabusi

Insiza District

 

Filabusi is the district capital of the Insiza District and service centre for the surrounding mining and farming areas.

Filabusi was once a major producer of gold, with mines such as Fred and Royal Family, nickel at Epoch (Bindura Nickel Corporation) and asbestos at Pangani and Croft, but all these are now closed.

 

Post Office

History
  • 1894.07.15 – Opened as a postal agency under Bulawayo. Operated by the B.S.A.P.
  • 1916.01.13 – Upgraded to a Post Office.
  • 1910.05.04 – Downgraded to postal agency.
Service
  • 1901.08.06 – Mail service by coach or mail cart to Balla Balla.
  • 1910.05.01 – Mail service replaced by runners.
  • 1915.11.14 – Mail service by coach/mail cart resumes.
  • 1927.04.01 – Mail service by motor car.

Postmarks

 

Fort Rixon

Fort Rixon

Insiza District

 

Fort Rixon was founded as a British military post in 1896 during the Ndebele uprisings near the site of the Dhlo-Dhlo ruins.

Prominent in local tradition, the Dhlo-Dhlo ruins appear to be of 17th- or 18th-century origin, yielding Portuguese, Arab, and Jesuit relics. It is believed that Dhlo-Dhlo was a seat of the supreme chief of the Rozwi people before the arrival of the Ndebele.

It is now an agricultural (corn [maize] and tobacco) and ranching centre and the focus of gold-mining activities in the area.

Post Office

History
  • 1902.03.31 – Opened as a postal agency under Bulawayo.
  • 1903.08.14 – Upgraded to a Post Office.
  • 1910.05.04 – Downgraded to postal agency.
Service
  • 1902.03.31 – Mail service by runner to Insiza.
  • 1910.05.01 – Mail service by by coach or mail cart to Insiza.
  • 1926.04.01 – Mail service by motor car (up to thrice weekly).
  • 1929.00.00 – Mail service by car reduced to twice weekly.

Postmarks

TypeEarliest DateLatest DateNotes
D113/08/190220/04/1903
D209/07/190312/09/1950
D314/01/194014/01/1940
D400/12/194400/12/1944
D531/01/195807/05/1962

Greystone

Greystone

Insiza District

 

Post Office

History
  • 1924.11.24 – Opened as postal agency under Shangani.
Service
  • 1924.11.24 – Postal service by runner to Shangani.

Postmarks

TypeEarliest DateLatest DateNotes
191/00100/02/192520/01/1949
191/00200/02/195324/08/1958
191/00327/02/000015/11/1960

Arcturus

Arcturus

Goromonzi District

Arcturus is a village that grew up around, and named after, Arcturus Mine. The mine, established in 1891, was one of the leading and oldest gold producers in Rhodesia and started operations in 1907.

Post Office

History
  • 1910.02.03 – Opened as a postal agency (previously a telegraph office).
  • 1911.03.31 – Upgraded to a money and telegraph office.
  • 1952.00.00 – New post office building opened.
Service
  • 1910.02.03 – Mail service by cart or coach to Salisbury.
  • 1914.01.01 – Mail service by motor car until WWI conditions caused it to be replace by mail cart/coach.
  • 1922.12.08 – Mail service by motor car resumed.

Postmarks

TypeEarliest DateLatest DateNotes
D104/02/191008/03/1910
D208/04/191011/05/1937
D311/01/191328/02/1913
D431/05/193731/05/1958
D516/02/195910/11/1965
D607/04/195810/11/1965

Dadaya

Dadaya

Shabani District

 

Post Office

History
  • 1945.05.01 – Opened as a postal agency under Shabani.

Postmarks

 

TypeEarliest DateLatest DateNotes
D201/06/194510/11/1965

Chakari

Chakari

Chakari was first known, in 1907, as Turkois Mine, but the name was changed in 1911 to Shagari. Owing to the difficulty some Europeans have in pronouncing the African language, it became obvious that the name should have been Chakari, and not Shagari. It was accordingly decided to alter it once more and on 1st July, 1923, it officially became known as Chakari.

Post Office

History
  • 1923.07.01 – Name changed from Shagari to Chakari.
  • 1946.00.00 – New building opened for the postal agency.
  • 1951.06.01 – Upgraded to a money and telegraph office.
Service
  • 1929.01.00 – Daily mail service from Gatooma.

Postmarks

TypeEarliest DateLatest DateNotes
D610/12/192329.03.1954
D808/09/195410/11/1965
D904/04/195910/11/1965

Bembesi

Bembesi

Bubi District

 

Bembesi was the site of the most decisive battle of the Matabele War. On 1st November, 1893, a battle was fought between the Matabele Warriors (Ndebele), under the leadership of Lobengula, and the British forces, under the command of Major Patrick Forbes.

Lobengula fled after the defeat at Bembesi but not before deciding to burn his capital Bulawayo to the ground rather than allow it to be captured by the British.

Post Office

History
  • 1905.10.12 – Opened as a post and telegraph office under Bulawayo.
  • 1910.05.04 – Downgraded to postal agency.
Service
  • 1905.10.12 – Mail service by rail.

Postmarks

TypeEarliest DateLatest DateNotes
D207/03/190610/11/1965

Gwaai Siding

Gwaai Siding

Nyamandhlovu District

 

Post Office

History
  • 1940.00.00 – Name change from Gwaai to Gwaai Siding.
  • 1949.04.27 – Name reverted to Gwaai.
Service
  • Mail service by rail.

Postmarks

 

TypeEarliest DateLatest DateNotes
D420/02/194231/01/1939

Gwaai Settlement

Gwaai Settlement

 

Gwaai Settlement was located on the edge of the Wankie Game Reserve and was made up of a group of farmers. Mainly noted for potato growing, the farms had issues with raising cattle due to the tsetse fly.

Post Office

History
  • 1931.09.14 – Postal Agency under Wankie opened at local store.
Service
  • 1931.09.14 – Mail taken to Intundla Siding and carried by native runner.

Postmarks

TypeEarliest DateLatest DateNotes
D219/01/193203/07/1939
1 9 10 11 12 13 14