Waterford

Waterford

 

Residential township eight miles from Bulawayo.

Post Office

History
  • 1957.07.01 – Opened as postal agency under Bulawayo.

Postmarks

TypeSizeEarliest DateLatest DateNotes
D204/07/1957

Wanderer Mine

Wanderer Mine

Selukwe District

 

Post Office

History
  • 1936.04.01 – Opened.
  • 1952.00.00 – Closed when mine closed.
Service
  • 1936.04.01 – Mail by cyclist to Selukwe.
TypeSizeEarliest DateLatest DateNotes
D231/05/193608/11/1950
D300/09/193901/12/1939

Beatrice Mine

Beatrice Mine

Hartley District

Beatrice Mine was in operation from 1895 to 1945 and was named after Beatrice Borrow, the sister of Lieutenant Henry J. Borrow, a member of the Pioneer Column.The mine was pegged by Frank Johnson & Company, Borrow being a partner of the firm.

The Beatrice Mine was originally floated by The Beatrice (Rhodesia) Co Ltd, in 1899. The company had an authorised capital of £200,000, of which £60,000 was issued for working capital. A certain amount of development work was done, and a ten-stamp mill, cyanide works, and other plants were erected.

However, owing to financial difficulties, the company let the property to tributors. After letting to the tributors, the company went into voluntary liquidation on 9 December 1908, the concern afterwards passing into private ownership.

In 1910 the mine was bought by the General Mining and Finance Corporation.Elaborate pumps were installed and the mine was further developed proving five shoots of ore.

Postal Services

The postal service was under Salisbury. Originally named Beatrice, the name was changed to Beatrice Mine from 1911 until 1953.

  • 1911.10.11 – Opened at a Post Office Agency and renamed Beatrice Mine. Mail service by runner to Salisbury.
  • 1912.11.04 – Mail service by coach.
  • 1915.07.21 – Regraded to a Money and Telegraph Office.
  • 1918.05.29 – Mail service by runner resumes.
  • 1920.05.00 – Mail service bi-weekly by runner.
  • 1925.05.00 – Mail service bi-weekly by motor service.
  • 1953.11.02 – Name reverts to Beatrice.

Postmarks

References

FB

Beatrice

Beatrice

Hartley District

 

Beatrice is a village named after the Beatrice gold mine, around which it grew. The mine was in operation from 1895 to 1945 and was named after Beatrice Borrow, the sister of Lieutenant Henry J. Borrow, a member of the Pioneer Column.

European settlers also established Beatrice Farm, a large ranch that may have been populated with cattle which they had looted from the Ndebele. 

Post Office

History
  • 1901.00.00 – Opened as a telegraph office.
  • 1905.03.31 – Telegraph office closed.
  • 1911.10.11 – Renamed Beatrice Mine.
  • 1953.00.00 – New post office building opened and name reverted to Beatrice.

Postmarks

TypeSizeEarliest DateLatest DateNotes
D321/11/195321/11/1953
D423/07/195510/11/1965
D529/04/195410/11/1965

Umfeseri

Umfeseri

Makoni District

 

Post Office

History
  • 1949.12.01 – Opened as a postal agency under Macheke.

Postmarks

On the first day of use, the datestamp was incorrectly set to 01.12.1939.

 

TypeSizeEarliest DateLatest DateNotes
D101/12/194926/04/1958

 

 

Eastnor

Eastnor

 

Originally known as Motapa Mine until 1948.

Post Office

History
  • 1948.02.29 – Re-named Eastnor.

Postmarks

TypeSizeEarliest DateLatest DateNotes
D301/03/194802/09/1948
D430/11/194831/07/1959

Mashaba

Mashaba

Victoria District

 

Mashaba (now known as Mashava) is a small mining town. Asbestos was and still is being mined in this small town. There are three mines in the town: Gath’s Mine, King Mine and Temeraire Mine.

Post Office

History
  • 1915.05.22 – Opened as a postal agency under Fort Victoria.
  • 1915.06.09 – Upgraded to a post and telegraph office.
  • 1951.00.00 – Post Office hit by lightening strike causing fire damage.
Service
  • 1915.05.22 – Mail service by runner to Fort Victoria.
  • 1929.06.02 – Daily mail motor service.

Postmarks

TypeSizeEarliest DateLatest DateNotes
D215/05/191510/11/1965
D320/12/193902/10/1940
D503/03/195410/11/1965
D616/01/195610/11/1965Broad 'O' in Rhodesia.

Mazoe

Mazoe

Mazoe District

Post Office

History
  • 1893.08.01 – Opened as postal agency under Salisbury.
  • 1896.00.00 – First Post Office building opened.
  • 1908.00.00 – Second Post Office building opened.
Service
  • 1893.08.01 – Mail service by runners to Salisbury.
  • 1902.04.01 – Mail service by coach/mail cart to Salisbury.
  • 1912.11.04 – Mail cart to Jumbo.
  • 1917.09.25 – Mail service by runners.
  • 1919.11.23 – Mail service by runners to Mazoe Siding.
  • 1935.06.27 – Daily mail service by motor car.

Postmarks

1 5 6 7 8 9 19