Odzi

Odzi Park

Umtali District

 

Odzi is a village off the main Harare-Mutare road. Odzi was established as a railway siding in 1899.

Post Office

History
  • 1892.03.31 – Deputy Post Office.
  • 1896.06.00 – Closed during the Mashona Rebellion.
  • 1900.00.00 – Re-opened at the railway station.
  • 1927.04.01 – Upgraded to a money and telegraph office.
Postal Staff
  • Mr Abbott – Deputy Postmaster (14.10.1893 – 00.00.0000 )
  • Mr Clayton – Deputy Postmaster (00.00.1893 – 13.10.1893)
Service
  • 1892.03.31 – Mail service by coach from Salisbury.
  • 1900.00.00 – Mail service by rail.

Postmarks

TypeSizeEarliest DateLatest DateNotes
D424/02/190303/01/1960
D506/01/192406/01/1924
D621/08/195321/08/1953
D715/07/196010/11/1965
D824/11/196010/11/1965

Post Offices: Rhodesia

Post Offices

Rhodesia

Below is a list of Post Offices and their postmarks covering:

  • British South Africa Company
  • Southern Rhodesia
  • Rhodesia & Nyasaland (Southern Rhodesia)
  • Rhodesia

Post Offices

Hunters Road

Hunters Road

Gwelo District

 

Post Office

History
  • 1911.11.01 – Opened as a postal agency under Gwelo.
  • 1953.00.00 – Upgraded to a money and telegraph office.
Service
  • 1911.11.01 – Mail service by rail.

Postmarks

TypeSizeEarliest DateLatest DateNotes
D207/04/191410/11/1965
D2.126/02/193014/05/1930Blue ink.
D304/11/196010/11/1965

Queens Mine

Queens Mine

Bubi District

Queen’s Mine is a village 34 miles (55-km) NE of Bulawayo that grew up around the now closed Queen’s Mine. It derived its name from the nearby Ndebele queen’s kraal.

The gold mine was pegged on the site of ancient diggings in 1893 just prior to the Matabele Rebellion. There are several smaller mines in this predominantly ranching area.

Post Office

The Post Office that was originally at Inyati Mine was destroyed on 13 June 1896 and there is no known early opening for Queens Mine.

  • 1911.10.02 – Opened as a postal agency under Bulawayo. Mail service by coach/mail cart to Bulawayo.
  • 1912.04.11 – Regraded to Money and Telegraph Office.
  • 1914.09.07 – Mail service by motor car.
  • 1916.04.30 – Mail service by coach resumes.
  • 1924.02.11 – Regraded to Post and Telegraph Agency
  • 1925.09.22 – Daily mail service by motor car.

Postmarks

 

FB

Postmarks: Filabusi

Postmarks

Filabusi

TypeEarliest DateLatest DateNotes
D204/01/189901/06/1926
D301/12/190402/02/1929
D3A18/09/191118/09/1911Full-stop after month.
D425/04/190726/04/1907
D504/02/193005/01/1950
D704/10/194924/10/1949
D818/09/195031/10/1950
D903/12/195003/12/1950
D1010/12/195010/11/1965
D1123/06/195910/11/1965

Filabusi

Filabusi

Insiza District

 

Filabusi is the district capital of the Insiza District and service centre for the surrounding mining and farming areas.

Filabusi was once a major producer of gold, with mines such as Fred and Royal Family, nickel at Epoch (Bindura Nickel Corporation) and asbestos at Pangani and Croft, but all these are now closed.

 

Post Office

History
  • 1894.07.15 – Opened as a postal agency under Bulawayo. Operated by the B.S.A.P.
  • 1916.01.13 – Upgraded to a Post Office.
  • 1910.05.04 – Downgraded to postal agency.
Service
  • 1901.08.06 – Mail service by coach or mail cart to Balla Balla.
  • 1910.05.01 – Mail service replaced by runners.
  • 1915.11.14 – Mail service by coach/mail cart resumes.
  • 1927.04.01 – Mail service by motor car.

Postmarks

 

Fort Rixon

Fort Rixon

Insiza District

 

Fort Rixon was founded as a British military post in 1896 during the Ndebele uprisings near the site of the Dhlo-Dhlo ruins.

Prominent in local tradition, the Dhlo-Dhlo ruins appear to be of 17th- or 18th-century origin, yielding Portuguese, Arab, and Jesuit relics. It is believed that Dhlo-Dhlo was a seat of the supreme chief of the Rozwi people before the arrival of the Ndebele.

It is now an agricultural (corn [maize] and tobacco) and ranching centre and the focus of gold-mining activities in the area.

Post Office

History
  • 1902.03.31 – Opened as a postal agency under Bulawayo.
  • 1903.08.14 – Upgraded to a Post Office.
  • 1910.05.04 – Downgraded to postal agency.
Service
  • 1902.03.31 – Mail service by runner to Insiza.
  • 1910.05.01 – Mail service by by coach or mail cart to Insiza.
  • 1926.04.01 – Mail service by motor car (up to thrice weekly).
  • 1929.00.00 – Mail service by car reduced to twice weekly.

Postmarks

TypeEarliest DateLatest DateNotes
D113/08/190220/04/1903
D209/07/190312/09/1950
D314/01/194014/01/1940
D400/12/194400/12/1944
D531/01/195807/05/1962
1 6 7 8 9 10 19