Iron Mine Hill
Iron Mine Hill
Gwelo District – Rhodesia/Southern Rhodeia
There were two post offices called Iron Mine Hill. One office was located at the mine run adjacent to where the miners smelted ore, and the second was at a railway siding, run by a storekeeper Mr J Picken (later turned farmer). The two post offices were approximately 3.5 miles apart.
Date: 29.07.1894 – 05.05.1950
Type:
- Inauguration of mail service from Iron Mine Hill to Fort Victoria by Herman Bezuidenhout.
- Post Office (1897/8) at the old settlement.
- Post and telegraph office under Mazoe.
Service:
- Coach by H B Bezuidenhout to Fort Victoria (29.07.1894)
- Rail to Umvuma (19.06.1913)
Notes:
- Iron Hill Mine closed (1912)
- Iron Mine Hill Siding opened (1913)
- Closed (01.08.1919 – 01.11.1919)
Postmarks
- K1 – ‘312’
- D4 – 1932
- D4 (blue ink) – 1926
| Type | Start Date | End Date | Notes |
|---|---|---|---|
| K1 | 01.03.1896 | 01.01.1898 | Iron Hill Mine |
| D2 | 01.03.1896 | 12.12.1898 | Iron Hill Mine |
| D2 | 00.00.1899 | 00.00.1899 | Missing day/month |
| D2 | 31.03.1895 | 20.03.1896 | 20mm. Possibly from the telegraph office. |
| D4 | 13.12.1913 | 05.05.1950 | Iron Hill Mine Siding |
| D4 | 02.02.1926 | 31.03.1926 | Blue ink. |
Reference
- Postal History of Southern Rhodesia
- The Rhodesian Study Circle Journal No.46 – Bill Williams
- The Rhodesian Study Circle Journal No.59 – G.D.B. Williams



