Category: Rhodesia
Postcard: Mbuma Mission – Series 3898
Prince Edward School
Prince Edward School
Harare
Prince Edward was established in 1898 in Salisbury, Southern Rhodesia as Salisbury Grammar. It was renamed Salisbury High School in 1906 and adopted its current name in during the 1925 Royal visit of Edward VIII, who was Prince of Wales at the time. It is the second oldest boys school in Harare and in Zimbabwe after its main sporting rival, St Georges’ College.
The School’s badge is a crown and three feathers, granted to it by Prince Edward. The school’s colours are maroon and dark green. For its centenary, Prince Edward School adopted a new coat of arms which does not replace the school’s badge. The motto of the school “Tot Facienda Parum Factum” (“So much to do, So little done”) is attributed as Cecil John Rhodes’ last words.
In 2002, before the March 2002 presidential elections, the Ministry of Education announced plans to change names of all government schools that had colonial connotations. Scores of government schools were set to have their names changed to honour liberation war heroes, past national and African personalities and/or the suburban area in which the school is located. Prince Edward School was set to be renamed Murenga Boys High School after a Njelele high spirit said to have assisted the local heroes who fought the First Chimurenga of 1896–7. The change of names did not occur but in its wake, as a compromise, the Games Houses within the school had their colonial names changed to those of rivers in Zimbabwe.
The school is currently a public, boarding and day school for boys aged 13 to 19. It provides education facilities to 1200+ boys in Forms I to VI. The school is served by a graduate staff of over 100 teachers. It was ranked 6th out of the top 100 best high schools in Africa by Africa Almanac in 2003, based upon quality of education, student engagement, strength and activities of alumni, school profile, internet and news visibility.It was also ranked as one of the Top 10 High Schools in Zimbabwe in 2014.
Postcards
Contributors
- Geoff Brakspear
Postcards: The Jameson Hotel – Type III
Postcards: Big Game Photography – Grey Back – Type IIB (BP Series)
Big Game Photography
Grey Back – Type IIB (BP Series)
- BP/16
| No.s | Description | Earliest PMK Date |
|---|---|---|
| BP/16 | Rock Paintings, Rhodesia. |
Postcards: P.P.I (Pvt) Ltd – Type IC
Details
- Publisher: Packaging and Printing Industries (Pvt.) Ltd, P.O. Box 3838, Salisbury
- Distributor:
- Printer: Bardwell & Co (Pvt.) Ltd., Salisbury, Southern Rhodesia
- Process:
- Photographer:
- Year: 1965
- Series: Type 1C
- No.3
- No.18
- No.23
- No.29
- No.30
| No.s | Description | Earliest PMK Date |
|---|---|---|
| 3 | General View of Zimbabwe, Rhodesia | |
| 18 | Zimbabwe Walls viewed from the Acropolis. | 10/05/1968 |
| 20 | Jacaranda Time in Salisbury | |
| 23 | Aerial View of Victoria Falls. | 24/08/1965 |
| 29 | Victoria Falls from the air between Zambia and Rhodesia. | |
| 30 | Rainbow Over Victoria Falls | 26/03/1966 |
| 33 | Devil's Cataract, Victoria Falls |
Dwight Lamar Sherertz
Dwight Lamar Sherertz
(1893 -1970)
Dwight Lamar Sherertz, a Methodist Episcopal Church missionary to China and Southern Rhodesia, was born March 1893 in East Radford, Virginia. He received a B.A. from Roanoke College, an M.A. from Princeton University, and a honorary Doctor of Divinity degree from Roanoke in 1945. He married Margarita Mary Parks (1889-1973) in October 1919, daughter of Dr. and Mrs. William Hector Parks and a niece of Bishop Walter R. Lambuth.
In 1918 he began teaching English and religion at the junior and senior high schools in Soochow, China, a position he held until World War II when he was interned and then evacuated. Sherertz returned to China in 1945 and served as a liaison officer between Chinese and American troops. He continued to teach at Soochow University from 1946 until the Communist takeover in China in 1950.
- 25.04.1955
Forced to leave China, Rev. Sherertz and his wife went to Southern Rhodesia in 1952 to work at the teacher training school and as an assistant minister at Old Umtali Mission until his retirement in 1957. Rev. Sherertz died January 1970 in Silver Spring, Maryland. His wife died three years later in 1973.
References
- Dwight “Lamar” Sherertz (www.familytreenow.com)
- Guide to Sherertz Family Papers, United Methodist Archives and History Center
Contributors
- Mark Loomis
Government Stationery: 33541-1
Roman Catholic Church: St Albert’s Mission
Roman Catholic Church
St Albert’s Mission
The East German province of Jesuits established St. Albert’s Mission in 1962, which became the center of their efforts in Southern Rhodesia. The mission is located near the village of Centenary in Mashonaland Central province, on the escarpment overlooking the Zambezi Valley.
St. Albert’s Mission Hospital was completed in 1963 with 85 beds. It was originally run by nurses from the Dominican Sisters. In 1983, Dr Elizabeth Tarira became the first resident doctor, building up the hospital to its present 140-bed capacity. A convent for the Little Children of our Blessed Lady (LCBL), who also worked in the hospital, was completed in 1968. St. Albert’s became a district (government funded) hospital in 1985. It is the only hospital serving the 120,000 people in the district. Today the hospital includes male, female and children’s wards, maternity and neonatal units, surgical theater, laboratory and pharmacy. It admits about 5,000 patients per year and treats approximately 40,000 outpatients.
The Dominican Sisters opened a secondary school (St. Albert’s High School) in 1964. By 1973 the school had 197 students and there was a primary school of 261 pupils. In February 1973, the High School was closed by Rhodesian security forces as a ‘communal punishment’ after the discovery of a guerilla base nearby. The school reopened in April, but three months later a force from the Zimbabwe African National Liberation Army (ZANLA) captured approximately 300 pupils and staff and force marched them towards Mozambique to train as guerilla fighters. Before crossing the border, Rhodesian Security Forces were able to secure the release of all but eight of the children and staff. The school was later closed in the late 1970’s during the height of the “liberation struggle”, not opening again until 1981 with 120 students.
- 07.03.1985
References
- The Catholic Church and Zimbabwe, 1879-1979 – A.J Dachs & W.F. Rea
- On the Frontline, Catholic Missions in Zimbabwe – Janice McLaughlin,
- www.stalbertsmissionhospital.org
Contributors
- Mark Loomis
Cinderellas: 11 Independence League – Support Rhodesia
11 Independence League
Support Rhodesia
Details
- Date of Issue: 1965
- Designer:
- Printer:
- Process:
- Paper:
- Perf: Roulette
- Sheet:
- Booklet:
- Quantity:




























