Moshal, Gevisser & Partners Ltd

Moshal, Gevisser & Partners Ltd

Livingstone

Moshal, Gevisser & Partners Ltd was originally established in 1910 as a partnership between J Moshal, I Gevisser and M Gevisser.

Moshal arrived in South Africa from Europe in 1898. By 1908 after trying many enterprises, he and his wife were running a small business selling second-hand bottles and bags. In 1910, they invited M and I Gevisser (who arrived in South Africa in 1904), to join the partnership to help with capital to grow the business.

J Moshal’s son joined the business in 1919 after World War I and by 1930 the business was known as Moshal Gevisser (Pvt) Ltd. However, by 1945 the company found the need for more provisions and became Moshal Gevisser Holdings Ltd with shares listed on the London and Johannesburg stock exchanges.

The company had three main activities. The first and major part was wholesale distribution of general merchandise, the second part was manufacturing, and the third part was administration.

The wholesaler side of the business was known as Moshal, Gevisser & Partners Ltd. The Johannesburg company managed the branches in Ndola and Livingstone in Northern Rhodesia.

 

References

  • Moshal, Gevisser Ltd and Associated Companies 1910-1960
Contributor
  • James Gavin

FB

The Livingstone Motor Works Ltd

The Livingstone Motor Works Ltd

Livingstone

The Livingstone Motor Works Ltd was Livingstone’s first motor garage. It was established in 1919 by the Grill family.

Contributors
  • Keith Harrop

FB

Recent Updates

Since December, 2015, the Rhodesian Study Circle has transitioned itself from an established philatelic society to one catered for the 21st Century collector. With thousands of images and over 5,500 pages of philatelic items, we are combining philately with the colourful history of Central Africa to help support you in building your collections.

If you have any questions, comments, feedback or information, please Contact Us

August, 2026

The Index for the RSC Journal

  • The Index for the Journal (Topic or Author) – from 1948 to 2025 (Vols. 1-309) is now available on this website. (Updated December, 2025). This is an amazing resource for research! Our thanks to Geoff Brakspear. 

Roman Catholic Church: Dominican Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus

Roman Catholic Church

Dominican Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus

St Dominic de Guzman (c1173 – 1221) founded the Dominican Order (also known as the “Order of Preachers” – OP) in the early Middle Ages.  Women were apart of the Order from the beginning.  A convent of contemplative nuns was established in Prouille, near Toulouse, France in 1206.  Later, a number of “houses of women” attached to the Order were setup through out Europe, including the community of St Ursula in Augsburg, Germany.

The Dominican Sisters in their current form, however, are largely a product of the Nineteenth Century.  As a result of increasing missionary fervor, monasteries were asked to send groups of women to found schools and medical clinics around the world.  In response, seven Dominican sisters from St Ursula’s Convent led by Mother Tiefenböck arrived in South Africa in 1877 to found the Convent of the Sacred Heart in King Williams Town (KWT).

Mary Anne Cosgrave, taking the name of Mary Patrick at final profession, was an early member of the community, coming to South Africa from Ireland in 1880 at age 17. Nine years later Sister Patrick was asked to lead of party of five KWT Dominican sisters in support of the “Pioneer Column” then being assembled for the occupation of Mashonaland.

Reaching Salisbury in July 1891, the sisters took charge of the rudimentary hospital that had been set up.  In response to pleas from the growing population of settlers, in October 1892 they established the first school (convent) in Salisbury.  Mother Patrick and the Dominican sisters were called upon again to provide nursing care when, in 1896, Southern Rhodesia was engulfed in the Ndebele and Shona uprisings.

By 1898, the number of sisters in Rhodesia under Mother Patrick had risen to approximately 30, with communities in Salisbury, Fort Victoria, Bulawayo and at Chishawasha Mission.  In that year the Rhodesian sisters were separated from their “Mother House” at King Williams Town to form their own independent community.  Father Sykes, Superior of the Zambezi Mission (responsible for Rhodesia) had come to the conclusion that “this would enable them to adapt themselves better to local conditions … and in this way ensure and promote the growth and development of the Church in Rhodesia.”  The decision was made, however, without consulting the sisters themselves, who were then forced to make the difficult decision of remaining in Rhodesia or returning to their “Mother House.”  Nineteen sisters decided to remain. Mother Patrick was unanimously elected Prioress of the new community in 1899.  Unfortunately, due to ill health, she died soon after.

The Dominican sisters faced adversity during the “Bush War”/”War of liberation.” On February 6, 1977, four sisters were murdered along with three Jesuits as Musami Mission.  Another sister was killed in 1979 at Driefontein Mission. The name of the community was revised in 1984 to the present name of “Dominican Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.”

Today, the Dominican Missionary Sisters operate a number of schools and other facilities in Zimbabwe, including the Dominican convents in Harare and Bulawayo, St Dominic at Chishawasha, and Emerald Hill; and hospitals at St Theresa, St Joseph and Regina Coeli Mission.  Locations outside of Zimbabwe include England (Greenwich and Gossops Green, Crawley), Germany (Kloster Strahlfeld), Colombia (Bogotá), and Kenya (St Mulumba Hospital and Juja).

Missions/Institutions

Southern Rhodesia
Northern Rhodesia
  • 1970 – St Catherine of Siena International Novitiate

References

Contributors
  • Mark Loomis

Roan Antelope Copper Mines Ltd: Luanshya

Roan Antelope Copper Mines Ltd

Luanshya

Share Certificates: Roan Antelope Copper Mines Ltd

Roan Antelope Copper Mines Ltd

Roan Antelope Copper Mines Ltd: Ndola

Roan Antelope Copper Mines Ltd

Ndola

Government Stationery: L699

Government Stationery

L699

Details

  • Date of Issue: April, 1952
  • Dept: Post Office
  • Reqn.: 
  • Printer: 
  • Paper:
  • Quantity: 10,000

FB

Government Stationery: T929

Government Stationery

T929

Details

  • Date of Issue: March, 1935
  • Dept: Post Office
  • Reqn.: T929
  • Printer: 
  • Paper:
  • Quantity: 2,000

FB

1 6 7 8 9 10 37