North British & Mercantile Insurance Company Ltd: Fire Renewal Receipt
North British & Mercantile Insurance Company Ltd
Fire Renewal Receipt
The Rhodesian Study Circle is a philatelic website for the areas of Rhodesia, Northern Rhodesia, Southern Rhodesia, British Central Africa and Nyasaland, Malawi, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Fire Renewal Receipt
Bulawayo
Joseph Ginsberg was born in London 10 November 1894. He left London to live in Rhodesia in 1920 where established J Ginsberg & Co Ltd in the same year. Previously married to Gertrude Ginsberg with two children, Faye and Louis, he later married Mabel Bones Ginsberg (b.1909) on 28 January 1952. Ginsberg died 28 November 1982.
The business provided services as a land and estate agent, business brokers, company secretaries and valuations.
London
Pearl Assurance Company was founded in 1857 as The Pearl Loan Company. It changed its name to The Pearl Assurance Company in 1914.
On 1 April 1960, Pearl Assurance Company took over most of the British Commonwealth Insurance Company’s activities in the Federation of Rhodesia & Nyasaland, including the business arising from the association with the Commonwealth and Commonwealth Permanent Building Societies in Southern and Northern Rhodesia.
The Pearl Assurance building was the first large building to be erected in Salibsury which had been designed by a female architect, and had a number of innovative features, but its sign, The Pearl, was significant, and still there, although the company is no more.
In 1990, the company was acquired by the Australian insurance group, AMP, and in 2003, Pearl, NPI and London Life were demerged from AMP to become part of Henderson Group.
In 2005, the Pearl Group was bought from Henderson Group by Sun Capital Partners and TDR Capital. It acquired Resolution Life in 2008 (including its Phoenix Assurance operations). In 2009, the business was acquired by the Liberty Acquisition Holdings (International) Company, which subsequently renamed itself Pearl Group.
In 2010, Pearl Group changed its name to Phoenix Group Holdings. In March 2014, the business sold Ignis Asset Management to Standard Life Investments, the asset management arm of Standard Life.
London
Commercial Union Assurance Company Ltd was established in 1904. It was initially created to undertake fire and accident insurance business in the UK and overseas.
In 1910, a motor department was established and, by 1914, the company had also set up a life department.
By 1926, the company was offering fire, life, motor car, personal accident, fidelity, employers’ liability, burglary, contract guarantee, plate glass, marine, householders and traders combined, third party liability and solvency insurance.
The company further extended its operations in 1931 by establishing an engineering department.
On August 21 1975, the company changed its name to the Commercial Union Life Assurance Company Ltd.
Bulawayo
C.E.G. Cumings Ltd was an engineering company based in Willoughby’s Buildings, Bulawayo.The business was started by engineer (Cpt) Charles Ernest George Cumings (b.1866) who arrived as a Matabeleland pioneer from Britain. For many years, he was associated with the late Sir James Gordon MacDonald, once private secretary to Mr. Cecil Rhodes.
Cumings was married to Lilian Sophia Cumings nee Perks (d.14 December 1901) and was father to Douglas Gordon Clark Cumings and Dorothy Elaine Cumings. After Lilian’s death, he married Edith Mary Basson and had another child, (Sir) Charles Cecil George Cumings (b.1904).
Around 1891, Cumings appears to have held an interest in the Matabele Queens Mine with options granted to the Matabele Queens Company. Eventually he started C.E.G. Cumings Ltd. He died 18 April 1928.
Stationery
1901-1974
Alexander Ian Jaffey was a stock broker with the Rhodesian Stock Exchange, based in Bulawayo.
He was born in Dublin, Ireland in 1901. On 8 September 1927 he married Florence Hilda Jaffey in Johannesburg, South Africa, and had two sons; Julian Michael and Anthony Joseph Ellis Jaffey.
He died 10 May 1974.
Bulawayo
Charleik Salomon was a Romanian immigrant. He arrived in Bulawayo in 1894 and opened a store near that location. He rose rapidly to become a successful wholesaler in the
years before 1914. Charelik had several wholesaling trading companies, Salomon & Stenham, Charelik Salomon and Co., C. Salomon & Co. of Vryburg, and Salomon and Kaufman.
Salomon started business as Salomon and Stenham, partnering with Oscar Steinmann (who later changed his name to Stenham). The company name was then changed to C. Salomon & Co. Stenham lived in London where he served as shipping agent. Shipping agents arranged imports and exports, paid import and export duties, freight charges, and usually gave a guarantee for all payments due by their clients.
In 1936, Charelik merged his company with Oscar Kaufman. The name of their business was again changed to Salomon and Kaufman (Pvt) Ltd. After a serious disagreement, Charelik’s son, Jack Salomon, sold out to Oscar Kaufman. Apparently, Jack liquidated all of his assets in Rhodesia and sent the proceeds out of the country. Oscar Kaufman then renamed his business, Kaufman Sons and Co. (Ltd).
Charelik Salomon became a wealthy wholesale merchant and philanthropist in Southern Rhodesia and one of the major financiers of the Susman brothers, Elie and Harry.
Harare
Construction on The Monomatapa Hotel was opened in 1974 and was designed by Roy Densem of Roy Densem & Partners Architects. It has a unique crescent-shaped frontage that overlooks Harare Gardens. It was originally managed by Southern Sun Hotel Corporation (Pty) Ltd and later Meikles Southern Sun, then Zimbabwe Sun Limited. The hotel is currently under the management of African Suns Limited.
The hotel was called the Monomatapa when it was first opened. It contained a number of dining and drinking venues such as Prospectors, Bali Hai, The 12 000 Horsemen, The Homestead and others. In the early 2000s the hotel hosted for a time a well-known restaurant that moved in from the suburbs called Le Francais.
The hotel underwent renovations in 1997. Branding has changed too, with the hotel becoming Crowne Plaza Monomotapa in the 1990s and, more recently, becoming the Monomotapa again (but with new spelling). Management of the hotel was franchised out to Legacy Hotels of South Africa in 2015 but this was terminated in 2019.