Iron Mine Hill

Iron Mine Hill

Gwelo District – Rhodesia/Southern Rhodeia

 

There were two post offices called Iron Mine Hill. One office was located at the mine run adjacent to where the miners smelted ore, and the second was at a railway siding, run by a storekeeper Mr J Picken (later turned farmer). The two post offices were approximately 3.5 miles apart.

Date: 29.07.1894 – 05.05.1950

Type:

  • Inauguration of mail service from Iron Mine Hill to Fort Victoria by Herman Bezuidenhout.
  • Post Office (1897/8) at the old settlement.
  • Post and telegraph office under Mazoe.

Service:

  • Coach by H B Bezuidenhout to Fort Victoria (29.07.1894)
  • Rail to Umvuma (19.06.1913)

Notes:

  • Iron Hill Mine closed (1912)
  • Iron Mine Hill Siding opened (1913)
  • Closed (01.08.1919 – 01.11.1919)

Postmarks

TypeStart DateEnd DateNotes
K101.03.189601.01.1898Iron Hill Mine
D201.03.189612.12.1898Iron Hill Mine
D200.00.189900.00.1899Missing day/month
D231.03.189520.03.189620mm. Possibly from the telegraph office.
D413.12.191305.05.1950Iron Hill Mine Siding
D402.02.192631.03.1926Blue ink.

Reference