Chakari
Chakari
Chakari was first known, in 1907, as Turkois Mine, but the name was changed in 1911 to Shagari. Owing to the difficulty some Europeans have in pronouncing the African language, it became obvious that the name should have been Chakari, and not Shagari. It was accordingly decided to alter it once more and on 1st July, 1923, it officially became known as Chakari.
Post Office
History
- 1923.07.01 – Name changed from Shagari to Chakari.
- 1946.00.00 – New building opened for the postal agency.
- 1951.06.01 – Upgraded to a money and telegraph office.
Service
- 1929.01.00 – Daily mail service from Gatooma.
Postmarks
| Type | Earliest Date | Latest Date | Notes |
|---|---|---|---|
| D6 | 10/12/1923 | 29.03.1954 | |
| D8 | 08/09/1954 | 10/11/1965 | |
| D9 | 04/04/1959 | 10/11/1965 |


