The Evangelical Alliance Mission: Karanda Mission
The Evangelical Alliance Mission
Karanda Mission is the site of the Karanda Mission Hospital established by the Evangelical Alliance Mission (TEAM) in 1961. It is located in Northern Zimbabwe near Mount Darwin (approximately 124 miles from Harare). A small hospital was first built at Chironga Mission in 1955 and later moved several miles away to Karanda to be closer to a better water source.
A nursing school was started two years later to train Africans to provide medical care for their own people. Eventually midwifery was added. The hospital was built to meet the “abundant health care challenges” faced by the small dispensaries/clinics in this remote area. Between 1964 and 1978, pilots from Mission Aviation Fellowship (MAF) were based at Karanda. They flew doctors to outlying clinics and served as an “air ambulance” for medical emergencies.
Currently, the hospital is licensed for 150 beds and sees 200-300 outpatients per day. It is known for the large number of surgical cases it handles (15-30 per day) and for its treatment of HIV/AIDS, TB, obstetrics and hydrocephalus (fluid on the brain). 55 nursing students participate in a 3-year program. The hospital is operated in cooperation with the Evangelical Church of Zimbabwe (ECZ).
“During the war for independence Karanda Hospital [served] a crucial role as a frontline medical facility. Land-mine and gun-shot victims were ferried in by helicopter, often just as dusk was falling.” The hospital was damaged during the war and rebuilt after 1981.
Several TEAM missionaries have served at Karanda, including Wilma Gardziella (1961-81); Dr. Roland & Kathy Stephens (1962-78; 1995 -); Pat Mortenson – (Nurses school, 1966-75); Dr. Dave Drake (1966-75); Sam and Dorothy Cook (1967-70); Gordon & Jean Marshall (MAF, 1974-78); and George Smazik (1980-86).
- Ordinary People in God’s Hands – Diane Powell Hawkins
- www.horizons.team.org (inactive)
- Karanda: The ‘miracle’ hospital’, The Hearld (25 Sep 2014),
- Mark Loomis