1925 – Prince of Wales Royal Tour

Royal Tour

30 April – 29 July 1925

The young Prince of Wales, later to abdicate as King Edward VIII, visited South Africa in 1925. It was a grand affair with large welcomes at the all the extravagantly decorated towns he visited between his arrival on April 30th and his departure almost 3 months later on 29th July.

Using two beautiful carriages built by the South African Railways, the Royal Party toured Southern Africa visiting Cape Province, the Orange Free State, Basutoland, Natal, Transvaal, Swaziland, Southern & Northern Rhodesia and the Bechuanaland Protectorate. The Prince met local Royalty, visited Victoria Falls, played Golf and enjoyed exuberant African welcomes throughout his visit.

Itinerary

Postcards

Post Office & Postmarks

References

  • Journal of the Rhodesian Study Circle No.96
  • Journal of the Rhodesian Study Circle No.116
  • H.R.H. A Pictorial Biography – Edited by Edgar Middleton
  • www.tothevictoriafalls.com
Contributors
  • Geoff Brakspear
  • Terry Cowlard
  • Adam Goulding
  • James Gavin

FB

Grand Hotel

Grand Hotel

Bulawayo

Contributors
  • James Gavin
  • Keith Harrop

FB

Rhodesian And Nyasaland Airways Ltd

Rhodesian And Nyasaland Airways Ltd

Salisbury

 

Rhodesia and Nyasaland Airways was formed in October, 1933 by the merger of two small privately owned companies & went into voluntary liquidation on 8th July, 1946.

 First Flights

References

Contributors
  • James Gavin
  • Peter Gorton

FB

Hunting Clan African Airways Ltd

Hunting Clan African Airways Ltd

Salisbury

Hunting Clan African Airways was the African arm of Hunting-Clan Airways, UK. The roots of the company go back to 1st January 1946 when Hunting Air Travel (HAT) was founded by three members of the Hunting Family, one of which was a member of the Royal Flying Corps in WW 1. Although a wholly independent British airline, it was actually part of the Hunting Group of companies, which had emerged from the shipping industry, dating back to the 19th Century.

On February 28, 1955 the subsidiary Hunting-Clan African Airways, Ltd. (HCAA) is formed at Salisbury, Rhodesia, to provide Africargo Avro York all-cargo services from London and Manchester.

First Flight Covers

Postcards

Contributors
  • Chris Halse

G North and Son Ltd

G North and Son Ltd

Salisbury & Bulawayo

G North and Son Limited was established in 1869. The company was incorporated in Kenya in 1963 and has more than 50 years experience in importing and supplying of high end technologies in the fields of Agriculture, Irrigation and Hospitality.

Currently G. North & Son is a market leader in the supply of Irrigation Solutions, Agriculture Machinery and Hospitality Equipment.

References

Southern Rhodesia Air Service

Southern Rhodesia Air Service

Southern Rhodesia Air Service (SRAS) was found January 1st, 1940. On February 1st, Rhodesia and Nyasaland Airways (RANA) was absorbed as an airline and communications squadron of the Southern Rhodesia Air Force. The routes operated by RANA were continued by SRAS. In June 1945, the Southern Rhodesia Air Minister announced that SRAS would operate all air services within Northern Rhodesia, Southern Rhodesia and Nyasaland.

On October 1st, 1945, the airline ceased its military operations and return to a civilian airline service. The Southern Rhodesia Act No.11 of 1946 established the Central African Air Authority and by June 1st, 1946 the Central African Airways was incorporated and replaced SRAS.

Events

References

  • Encyclopedia of African Airlines – Ben R Guttery

Puzey & Payne Ltd

Puzey & Payne Ltd

Salisbury

Originally a vehicle franchise, Puzey & Payne Ltd (later Puzey & Diss (Pty) Ltd) became the sole sales and service agent for a variety of vehicle brands including DKW, Rolls Royce, Dodge, Leyland, Wolsey, Austin, Amyl, Hudson, Morris, Cord, BSA, Morgan, Jaguar, Ford, Star, Mazda, Mini and VW through numerous dealerships in northern and southern Rhodesia.

Contributors
  • James Gavin
  • Walter Herdzik

Palace Theatre and Hotels

Palace Theatre and Hotels

Bulawayo

The Palace Theatre was first built in 1911, rebuilt in 1931, renovated a few years ago and finally pulled down recently to make way for a modern office block. It was also used for silent films, so that at times, rehearsals were conducted in dressing rooms behind the screen while the films were showing.

Contributors
  • Keith Brodovcky
  • James Gavin

FB

The Mark Friend Radio Co.

The Mark Friend Radio Co.

Bulawayo/Salisbury

Mark Friend Radio Co were an electrical and refrigeration business that began by selling radio and sound equipment.

Revenue

Contributors
  • James Gavin
  • Peter Gorton

FB

1 157 158 159 160 161 162