Universities’ Mission to Central Africa

Universities’ Mission to Central Africa

British Central Africa

 

The Universities’ Mission to Central Africa (UMCA) was founded in the late 1850s, after the return of Dr David Livingstone from the region in 1857. This “high church” Anglican society drew its missionaries initially from the universities of Oxford, Cambridge, Durham and Dublin. Under its motto “A servant of servants”, from its main centres of Zanzibar and Nyasaland (now Malawi), the UMCA began from an early date opposing the slave trade and promoting the education of the indigenous people and the training and ordination of African priests.

In 1965 the UMCA merged with the much older Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts to form the United Society for the Propagation of the Gospel.

Postcards

Reference

Contributors
  • Keith Harrop