The Evangelical Alliance Mission: Hunyani Mission
The Evangelical Alliance Mission
The Evangelical Alliance Mission (T.E.A.M.) opened up the Hunyani Mission station in 1948 in the Zambezi Valley near the Mozambique boarder, approximately 130 miles North of Salisbury (Harare). T.E.A.M. missionaries Les and Lillian Austin were at Hunyani from 1951 to 1954.
Betty Wolfe, at Hunyani along with her husband John during their “second term” as T.E.A.M. missionaries in Southern Rhodesia in the late 1950’s/early 1960’s, describes descending into the valley during the hot season and being hit with a wave of heat “like an oven door being opened in our faces.” Their mission house at Hunyani “had an asbestos roof with no ceiling over the kitchen and dining/living room, which made it rather like an oven.” One year they hung a thermometer outside in the shade, and “it registered 110 degrees [Fahrenheit] every day for a month. In the middle of the night it cooled down to 96.”
At one point, the mission contained a medical clinic and was a base for language training of other T.E.A.M. missionaries. The mission was still open as of the Bush War. The mission’s current status is unknown.
- Ordinary People in God’s Hands – Diane Powell Hawkins
- Mark Loomis