The Evangelical Alliance Mission: Hatfield

The Evangelical Alliance Mission

Hatfield (Harare)

 

The Evangelical Alliance Mission (TEAM) in Zimbabwe (Southern Rhodesia) had become increasingly convinced of the need to have a base of operations in the capital city of Harare (formerly Salisbury).  Many of the local believers from the Zambesi Valley were moving to the city seeking employment and the missionaries were concerned about their “spiritual welfare.”  There was a need for better accommodations when the missionaries traveled to Harare for supplies, to seek medical attention and meet with government officials.  They had been camping in a park on the outskirts of the city.  And the missionaries’ school-aged children needed a better place to stay while attending government schools in Harare.  The Danielsons’ and Dunkelds’ children “were staying in a private hostel that provided poor care, little supervision and no Christian nurture or influence in their lives.”

So in 1950, TEAM acquired a 5-acre plot in the Harare suburb of Hatfield, which became known as “the Plot.”  In time, it grew into the TEAM Zimbabwe headquarters.

Orval and Helen Dunkeld were the first missionaries assigned to Hatfield. Orval repaired an old cottage on the site to serve as a boarding school for the school children.  The Dunkelds served as the first ‘dorm parents’ – a responsibility that shifted among the missionaries.  In 1956-67, a larger hostel was built on the Plot with the “Old Cottage” becoming a guesthouse for visiting missionaries.  Richard and Inez Grigg (parents of missionary Lynn Hoyt) moved to Hatfield in 1967, built a home there and took on administrative duties.  That released Marian Wilterdink to pursue her interest in teaching Bible classes.  TEAM missionaries Clarence and Alice Cedarholm were serving at Hatfield as of July 1969.

The Evangelical Bible College relocated to Hatfield in April 1991, changing its name to the Harare Theological College (HTC).  HTC moved to its present location in Avondale in 2004.  The Plot was later sold to the Pentecostal Assemblies of God based in Canada to serve as a location for its college facility.

People

References

Contributors
  • Mark Loomis

FB