The Beatrice (Rhodesia) Company Ltd

The Beatrice (Rhodesia) Company Ltd


The Beatrice Mine was originally floated by the Beatrice (Rhodesia) Company, Limited, in 1899. The mine was named after the sister of Henry Borrow (after which Borrowdale was named), Beatrice Borrow. The company had an authorised capital of £200,000, of which £60,000 was issued for working capital. A certain amount of development work was done, and a ten-stamp mill, cyanide works, and other plants were erected.

The company milled 22,137 tons of ore, and won gold to the value of £99,235. However, owing to financial difficulties, the company let the property to tributors. The tributors, without effecting any development work, treated 35,893 tons from the mine, which gave £73,006 in gold, or 40s. 8d. per ton. Altogether there were crushed 58,030 tons of ore, yielding gold to the value of £172,241, or an average of 59s. 4d. per ton. After letting to the tributors, the company went into liquidation in 1908, the concern afterwards passing into private ownership.

In 1910, The General Mining and Finance Corporation (South Africa) acquired three-fourths interest in the Beatrice Mine in the Hartley District, with the option to purchase the remaining one-fourth.

Share Certificates


  • London Mainly About People newspaper, 5th March, 1910
  • Register of Defunct Companies