Stewarts and Lloyds of South Africa Limited

Stewarts and Lloyds of South Africa Limited

Salisbury

In 1898, British Company Lloyds and Lloyds decided to open two branches in South Africa. At the same time, British company A & J Stewart and Menzies was being represented in South Africa by Brown & McKenzie.

By 1903, seeing the need to consolidate their South African interests, the two companies amalgamated to form Stewarts & Lloyds ( South Africa) Limited and expand their branch network to include Bloemfontein, Durban, Port Elizabeth, East London and Johannesburg. By 1927, Stewart & Lloyds became a South African Company.

During the war years the company made shells at the Vereeniging works to support the war effort with many woman employed to fill the gaps left by men answering the call for military service.

In the 1980’s Dorbyl acquires the Stewarts & Lloyds group of companies some of which are sold off and the rest placed under the Dorbyl light and general banner. Stewarts & Lloyds trading remains a separate company in the Dorbyl stable. By the 1990’s, Robor Industrial Holdings (RIH), a Barloworld company enters into a joint venture with Dorbyl to run Stewarts & Lloyds Trading. Shortly thereafter RIH takes 100% control and renames the company Robor Stewarts & Lloyds.

In 2001, Barloworld state their intention to sell Robor Stewarts & Lloyds. Stockwell, a company of 15 years standing purchases Bloemfontein, Kimberley, Witbank, Rustenburg, Wadeville and Vereeniging branches to add to their current 10 nationwide branches. The Stewarts & Lloyds name is also purchased.

The company continues to trade today.

References

Contributors
  • James Gavin