South Africa General Mission

South Africa General Mission

The South Africa General Mission had its origins with the founding of the Cape General Mission (CGM) by Martha Osborn, Spencer Walton and Andrew Murray in 1889. “Murray, a well-known author who founded a university and a seminary, always considered missions ‘the chief end of the church.’”  CGM merged with the South East Africa Mission, formed by Ms. Osborn and George Howe in 1891, to establish the South Africa General Mission (SAGM) in 1894.

SAGM’s initial focus was on the soldiers and sailors in the Cape Town area.  But the mission soon expanded to broader evangelism among the Africans.  Because the ministry had spread to other African countries, in 1965 it changed its name to Africa Evangelical Fellowship (AEF).  AEF merged with SIM in 1998.  SIM began in 1893 as the Soudan Interior Mission.  After a number of mergers with other mission societies, it changed its name to “Serving in Mission” (with same acronym – SIM) in 2002.  Today SIM has over 4,000 workers from 65 nations serving on six continents in more than 70 countries.

In Zimbabwe, SIM missionaries partner with the United Baptist Church of Zimbabwe, which operates the Rusitu Bible College.

Missions

References

Contributors
  • Mark Loomis