Seventh Day Adventist Church: Tsungwesi Mission

Seventh Day Adventist Church

Tsungwesi Mission

 

In 1910, M.C Sturdevant made a trip to through Mashonaland to locate a new mission station for the Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA). A new location was located for the Shona peoples near Inyazura Siding, a station on the Salisbury (Harare) to Beira railway line, near the Portuguese East African (Mozambique) boarder. The Government agreed to grant the farm provided the equal number of acres were released by the Solusi farm tract. 3,666 acres were released and the Tsungwesi mission was established. 

M.C. Sturdevant, his wife and several native helpers arrived in November, 1910 where four mud-and-pole houses had already been established by the previous European land owner, Mr Folks. By 1st January, 1911 a new school was established with twelve students and by the end of 1912, there were seventy-three enrolled, forty of those being boarding students.

In late 1912, C. L. Bowen and his wife joined the mission but Bowen later died in June, 1913. F. Burton Jewell returned with Sturdevant at the end of that year. However, by 1914 Sturdevant was ill and A. P. Tarr of the colonies was sent to manage the mission. By now there were 100 students at the school and 20 members of the church present.

It appears that with the establishment of the Zambezi Union Mission in 1917, the mission became known as Inyazura Mission.

References

Contributors
  • Mark Loomis
  • James Gavin