Seventh Day Adventist Church: Tsungwesi Mission
Seventh Day Adventist Church
In 1910, M.C Sturdevant made a trip to through Mashonaland to locate a new mission station for the Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA). A new location was located for the Shona peoples near Inyazura Siding, a station on the Salisbury (Harare) to Beira railway line, near the Portuguese East African (Mozambique) boarder. The Government agreed to grant the farm provided the equal number of acres were released by the Solusi farm tract. 3,666 acres were released and the Tsungwesi mission was established.
M.C. Sturdevant, his wife and several native helpers arrived in November, 1910 where four mud-and-pole houses had already been established by the previous European land owner, Mr Folks. By 1st January, 1911 a new school was established with twelve students and by the end of 1912, there were seventy-three enrolled, forty of those being boarding students.
In late 1912, C. L. Bowen and his wife joined the mission but Bowen later died in June, 1913. F. Burton Jewell returned with Sturdevant at the end of that year. However, by 1914 Sturdevant was ill and A. P. Tarr of the colonies was sent to manage the mission. By now there were 100 students at the school and 20 members of the church present.
- Nyazura Adventist High School
- Our Story of Missions for Colleges & Academies – William Spicer
- A Missionary Doctor’s Autobiography – Robert M. Buckley
- “British Missionary Couple Slain by Blacks at School in Zimbabwe” – New York Times, February 5, 1981.
- An Outline of Mission Schools, 1920
- A History of the Growth and Development of the Seventh Day Adventist Church in Southern Africa 1920-1960 – Ronald Charles Lloyd Thompson
- Mark Loomis
- James Gavin