Seventh-Day Adventist Church: Lower Gwelo Mission

Seventh-Day Adventist Church

Lower Gwelo Mission

In 1923, the Somabula Mission moved and became the Lower Gwelo Mission. “The station changed from a mission farm, which also operated a primary school, to become a government- approved teacher-training institute in 1929.  To meet the need for higher academic training, a secondary-school training program was started in 1948.”  And in 1952, Solusi Mission’s teacher-training college was moved to Lower Gwelo. The teacher-training program was later returned to Solusi to become part of Solusi’s department of education.

Lower Gwelo is presently the site of the Lower Gwelo (Gweru) Adventist Secondary School, a co-educational boarding school, and Lower Gwelo Adventist Clinic.

References

Contributors
  • Mark Loomis