The Salisbury Club was opened 20th May, 1893. The club was a gentleman’s club based on the Pall Mall clubs of London. The club was mostly frequented by businessmen, civil servants, and European politicians as well as senior members of the Rhodesian forces.
It was not easy to join the club. A proposer and a seconder was required to join, as well a vote from membership. Women were not allowed to become members, although later, a ladies restaurant was added (although women could not enter via the front and entered via a separate entrance). Jews were also not welcome, although the club held some exceptions. Africans were not permitted.
- The Story of Steve: An Immigrant’s Tale – Dan Remenyi
- James Gavin