Royal Rhodesia Regiment

Royal Rhodesia Regiment

The Rhodesia Regiment (RR) was one of the oldest and largest regiments in the Rhodesian Army. It served on the side of the United Kingdom in the Second Boer War and the First and Second World Wars and served the Republic of Rhodesia in the Rhodesian Bush War.

During the First World War, an affiliation was formed between the King’s Royal Rifle Corps (KRRC) and the Rhodesia Regiment, with a platoon of Rhodesians serving in the 2 KRRC. In addition to the similar cap badge with a red backing, the affiliation with the KRRC led to many similarities in uniform as a rifle regiment with private soldiers holding the title of “Rifleman”.

In 1947, as a result of its service in World War II the regiment was granted the title of Royal Rhodesia Regiment by King George VI, who became the regiment’s first Colonel-in-Chief.

Following the Unilateral Declaration of Independence (UDI) in 1965, the Royal Rhodesia Regiment (RRR) consisted of a number of territorial army battalions (1RR, 2RR, 4RR, 5RR, 6RR, 8RR, 9RR, 10RR) and 6 national service independent companies (1 Indep Coy RR, 2 Indep Coy RR, 3 Indep Coy RR, 4 Indep Coy RR, 5 Indep Coy RR and 6 Indep Coy, RR) as well as a training depot, DRR, which received and trained most of the Rhodesian Army national servicemen from the 1950s onwards. 3RR and 7RR were Northern Rhodesian (Zambia) battalions that became part of the Zambian military. After national service they were posted to a territorial battalion in or close to the town or city they hailed from.

When Rhodesia became a republic in 1970, the regiment’s title reverted to Rhodesia Regiment with Queen Elizabeth II resigning her position as Colonel-in-Chief.

Facilities

Independent Company

  • 1 IND Company
  • 2 IND Company
  • 3 IND Company
  • 4 IND Company
  • 5 IND Company
  • 6 IND Company