Roman Catholic Church: Mukaro Mission
Roman Catholic Church
Father Otto Hubman, Bethlehem Mission Society (SMB), founded Mukaro Mission in 1945. Located in Gutu, Masvingo (formerly Fort Victoria) Province, it was the first mission established by SMB in Southern Rhodesia. Father Hubman was still at the mission as of 2001.
Under the Masvingo Diocese, Mukaro presently consists of the Mukaro High School (a girls boarding school); Mukaro Primary School; St. Kizito Minor Seminary; a Sister’s convent operated by the Sisters of the Holy Cross; a “Fathers’ House” for priests; church and the Mukaro clinic.
In 2012, approximately 700 Mukaro High School students demonstrated against the lack of water and poor living conditions by leaving class and walking 15km to the Gutu District Education Office. The Diocese shut down the school in 2016 due to the continued presence of two teachers that it believed were responsible for organizing the demonstration.
- School shuts down over ‘stubborn’ teachers’ (herald.co.zw)
- Catholic Directory for Dioceses in Zimbabwe (czbc.co.zw)
- Mark Loomis