Roman Catholic Church: Makumbi Mission
Roman Catholic Church
Makumbi Mission was established in 1923 as an outgrowth of a number of outstations started from Chishawasha by Father Richartz, the long serving Father Superior of Chishawasha Mission. It is located approximately 30 miles north of Salisbury (Harare) near the village of Domboshava in Chinamora District.
A primary school was begun at Makumbi in 1929 by the Dominican Sisters. The Sisters added a secondary school for girls in the early 1960’s. In 1973, a technical school was introduced to teach boys building and carpentry skills. The two schools were merged in 1980 to form Makumbi Secondary School. Under the administration of the Jesuits, the school is currently known as Visitation-Makumbi High School. It enrolls around 840 students, 600 of whom are boarding students.
Under the guidance of the Dominican Sisters, a novitiate was opened at the mission in December 1932, beginning with 19 African girls. It marked the founding of the first indigenous congregation of sisters in Southern Rhodesia, The Little Children of our Blessed Lady (LCBL). The first novice mistress, Mother Mary de Mercede, remained in office until 1960. There are currently approximately 200 LCBL Sisters in Zimbabwe.
Makumbi Mission is also home to the Makumbi (Upfumihwenyika) Children’s Home. The home, which supports nearly 100 orphans, is a Jesuit Social Apostolate run in collaboration with the LCBL sisters. And in 2013, the LCBL sisters opened a herbal processing plant at the Makumbi. The LCBL Herbal Project aims to provide herbal remedies to those who can’t afford or are unable to obtain prescription medicines.
- The Catholic Church in Zimbabwe 1879-1979 – Dachs & W.F. Rea
- Makumbi Children’s Home (video in German)
- Catholic nuns promote use of herbal medicines (www.thestandard.co.zw)
- Mark Loomis