Rhodesian Study Circle: 2020 Annual Conference
It is with a very sad heart that we have decided to cancel the RSC Annual Conference in April. We know many people put a lot of effort into making this event happen and the decision to cancel was not taken lightly.
- Adrian de Bourbon, our Conference Organiser, will be in contact with members who have notified us of their attendance.
- For those who have created presentations or displays, our website will be able to host these displays on your behalf in .jpeg or PDF formats.
If you have any questions, please feel free to Contact Us.
- Date: 23rd – 26th April, 2020 (Cancelled)
- Location: Nailcote Hall Hotel, Nailcote Lane, Berkswell, Warwickshire
- Conference Organiser: Adrian de Bourbon
A number of limited rooms have been made available for Thursday (20 rooms) and Friday & Saturday (45 rooms). These will be available at a discounted rated and MUST be booked through the RSC and is on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Bed and breakfast rates are as follows:
- £99 per night for single occupancy.
- £109 per night for double occupancy.
The Rhodesian Study Circle can assist in setting up the reservation.
The Dealer’s bourse will be based at Nailcote Hall outside the conference room. Six dealers have confirmed that they will be attending.
Our auctioneer, Huw Williams, will be conducting the auction at the Conference. Material for the auction has now been finalised.
A list of the items will be circulated beforehand to those members attending the Conference.
Presentation and Displays
Presentations and displays are the heart-beat of the Conference. We again encourage electronic media (PowerPoint) be used for presentations where possible and where the subject is appropriate. Of course frames will be available for those who choose to display material.
Friday and Saturday presentations are now FULL.
If you are interested in delivering a presentation or a display, please contact us.
These have been a feature of our Conferences for a number of years. Members are not limited as to how many entries they have in each section. Members not attending, may submit scanned entries for these competitions.
All intending to enter (except for the Single Sheet Competition) should advise us of their entries so that we can prepare frames and allow appropriate Jurors to be selected and we shall advise attendees of the exhibits and exhibitors ahead of Conference.
Thus we will have:
- The Livermore Competition: A One Frame Competition open to all classes of exhibiting (16 sheets).
- The Postcard Competition (16 sheets)
Please check the links above for the changes to rules. Instead of making up our own rules, we shall use the well tested exhibiting guidelines used by the ABPS (Association of British Philatelic Societies) for our competitions.
We shall maintain the appropriate informality at the same time, hopefully broadening the scope and interest in the competitions. The competitive exhibits will still be shown and judged on the Saturday, probably in a different time slot. The results of the competition will be announced at the Saturday evening dinner.
In recent years, some members have arrived on the Thursday prior to the official start and some on the Friday morning. In the last two years, a few informal workshops have taken place during this time. We will advise members if such gatherings are happening. The opportunity to dine locally with a block booking will be provided. For, 2020, already 20 members have indicated an arrival on Thursday.
Friday and Saturday events times have now been finalised.
Friday 24 April
- 10:00 – 15:00 Dealers tables open.
- 12:00 – 14:00 Council meeting (Board Room)
- 12:00 – 14:00 Lunch available in Lant Bar.
- 14:30 – 14:40 Official Opening – Chairman and Conference Organiser
- 14:40 – 15:10 Annual General Meeting (Lant Suite)
- 15:10 – 15:40 Social Media and the Website – James Gavin
- 15:40 – 16:15 Revenue Double Heads – Gunnar Strehmel
- 16:15 – 16:30 Tea/Coffee break
- 16:30 – 17:10 Hidden Meaning in Rhodesian Stamps – Brian Eyre
- 17:10 – 17:45 Annual RSC Auction – Huw Williams
- 17:45 – 18:30 Wine and group photograph
- 19:30 – Buffet Dinner in Lant Suite
Saturday 25 April
- 07:30 – 08:30 Breakfast (Terrace Room)
- 09:00 – 17:30 Dealers tables open
- 09:00 – 09:40 Rhodesia Propaganda Letters – Dave Trathen
- 09:40 – 10:10 Paris Missionary Society – Sean Burke
- 10:10 – 10:40 British Central Africa – Ian Cubbin
- 10:40 – 11:00 Coffee/tea break
- 11:00 – 11:45 From Limpopo to the Zambesi : History, Politics, and Ideology in 101 Stamps and Covers – Narendhra Morar
- 11:45 – 12:30 Livermore Trophy (One Frame Competition) and Postcard (One Frame) Competition to be put up and competitors will have 5 minutes to talk to their entry (entries)
- 12:30 – 14:00 Judging of competition entries
- 12:30 – 14:00 Lunch available at Lant Bar
- 14:00 – 14:40 An introduction to the Rhodesian and Zimbabwean Security Forces (1972 to 1982) – Richard Berry
- 14:40 – 15:20 BSAC – A Different Perspective – Ian Shapiro
- 15:20 – 16:00 Presentation by Peter Hickman
- 16:00 – 16:15 Tea/coffee break
- 16:15 – 16:45 Jim McNeil’s Giraffes – Anita McCullough
- 16:45 – 17:00 A Couple of Revenue Items – Jefferson Ritson
- 19:00 – 19:30 Chairman’s drinks reception
- 19:30 – Conference Dinner (Lant Suite)
Sunday 26 April
- 07:30 – 08:30 Breakfast
- 09:00 – 13:00 Dealer’s tables open
- 09:00 – 09:30 Discussion – Conference Format (moderated by Patrick Flanagan)
- 09:30 – 09:45 Short presentation 1 (Brian Trotter)
- 09:45 – 10:00 Short presentation 2 (John Shawley – BCA & Nyasaland)
- 10:00 – 10:15 Short presentation 3 (Geoff Brakspear Encyclopaedia)
- 10:15 – 10:30 Short presentation 4 (Patrick Flanagan revenues)
- 10:30 – 10:45 Tea/coffee break
- 10:45 – 11:00 Short presentation 5 (Ian Shapiro – Forthcoming Auctions at Spinks)
- 11:00 – 11:15 Short presentation 6 (Christopher Cooksey)
- 11:15 – 11:35 Short presentation 7 (Ronnie Winchester 4d Double Heads)
- 11:35 – 11:55 Short presentation 8 (Derek Lambert – My Time in the Study Circle)
- 11:55 – 12:10 Short presentation 9 (Adrian de Bourbon Aerogrammes)
- 12:10 – 12:30 Short presentation 10
- 1230 – End of Conference
(Some members will stay for an informal lunch. It would be greatly appreciated if members assisted in the dismantling of frames etc.)