Rhodesian Study Circle: 2019 Annual Conference
Our 31st Annual Conference and Annual General Meeting is scheduled to be held at Nailcote Hall, Warwickshire once again after a highly successful 2017 & 2018 meeting.
- Date: 5th – 7th April, 2019
- Location: Nailcote Hall Hotel, Nailcote Lane, Berkswell, Warwickshire
If you want to show something or just talk on a subject of interest, please tell Adrian de Bourbon beforehand so that he can arrange a running order.
Sunday Displays can be large or just one sheet, but talking is limited to a maximum of 10 minutes.
Lunches & Dinner
This will cost £19.50 for two courses, with a choice of curries and accompaniments. If you want to have dinner, please sign the booking sheet at the hotel reception or let Adrian de Bourbon know. Payment in cash/card, or charge to hotel room account.
A bar service and sandwiches will be available at cost.
Saturday Dinner – Conference Dinner
All members staying over are urged to attend the dinner (with partners). It is our key social and formal gathering of the weekend.
- Cost: pre-order three courses at £30
- Dress code: smart or smart casual.
Please sign the booking sheet with Adrian de Bourbon.
Below is the programme for the 2019 Annual Conference. There will be an Auction, the RSC AGM, the Conference Dinner and the Livermore Prize and Postcard Competitions.
If you would like to provide a presentation or talk, or for any other questions, please Contact Us.
Friday, 5th April
- 14:30-16:00 – Displays & Discussions in the Lant Conference Suite
- 14:30-15:30 – Silent displays by members
- 15:30-16:30 – Possible Workshop
- 17:00-18:30 – RSC Council Meeting in Library (RSC Members only)
- 19:30 – Curry Buffet Dinner in Hotel function room
Saturday, 6th April
- 08:00-08:50 – Breakfast
- 08:50-09:00 – Assembly in the Lant Conference Suite
- 09:00-09:20 – Opening remarks by Chairman and Conference Organiser
- 09:20-10:10 – 1924 George V Admiral Issue of Southern Rhodesia – Patrick Flanagan
- 10:10-10:45 – Victoria Falls – Otto Peetoom
- 10:45-11:15 – Coffee & Tea break
- 11:15-12:15 – 1963 Northern Rhodesia Definitives (the Stamps and their Use) – Tony Banks
- 12:15-12:50 – Southern Rhodesian Revenues of King George V 1924-1937 – Adrian de Bourbon
- 12:50-14:00 – Lunch & Livermore/Postcard Competition
- 14:00-14:30 – Members viewing of competition entries.
- 14:30-15:15 – Independence – Dave Trathen
- 15:15-16:00 – Of Marginal Interest – Mark Thomas
- 16:00-16:30 – Coffee & Tea break
- 16:30-17:30 – RSC Annual General Meeting
- 17:30-18:00 – RSC Auction
- 19:00-19:30 – RSC Council Reception – bistro area adjacent to Lant Conference Suite
- 19:30 – Conference Dinner
Sunday, 7th April
Those who stayed at Nailcote Hall Hotel, please settle your bill during the morning and leave your bags by reception. Exit your room by 11.00.
- 08:00-09:00 – Breakfast
- 09:00-09:20 – Members Displays
- 09:20-09:45 – Rhodesian History from Nailcote – Brian Trotter
- 09:45-10:00 – RSC Rhodesia/Zimbabwe Encyclopaedia Update – Geoff Brakspear
- 10:00-10:20 – 1971 Emergency Mail Service – Dave Trathen
- 10:20-10:45 – Memoir 34: Postmarks on the 1910-1913 Double Heads Issue – Robert Gibbs
- 10:45-11:15 – Coffee & Tea break
- 11:15-11:30 – Upcoming Items from Spinks – David Parsons
- 11:30-11:50 – Abercorn/Mbala – Mark Thomas
- 11:50-12:10 – Lay, Registration and Other Printer’s Marks – Andrew Wilson
- 12:10-12:30 – The violet/purple Oct 3-8 1896 cancels from Bulawayo – Colin Hoffman and Brian Zlotnick
- 12:30 – End of 2019 Annual Conference