Prince Edward School
Prince Edward School
Prince Edward was established in 1898 in Salisbury, Southern Rhodesia as Salisbury Grammar. It was renamed Salisbury High School in 1906 and adopted its current name in during the 1925 Royal visit of Edward VIII, who was Prince of Wales at the time. It is the second oldest boys school in Harare and in Zimbabwe after its main sporting rival, St Georges’ College.
The School’s badge is a crown and three feathers, granted to it by Prince Edward. The school’s colours are maroon and dark green. For its centenary, Prince Edward School adopted a new coat of arms which does not replace the school’s badge. The motto of the school “Tot Facienda Parum Factum” (“So much to do, So little done”) is attributed as Cecil John Rhodes’ last words.
In 2002, before the March 2002 presidential elections, the Ministry of Education announced plans to change names of all government schools that had colonial connotations. Scores of government schools were set to have their names changed to honour liberation war heroes, past national and African personalities and/or the suburban area in which the school is located. Prince Edward School was set to be renamed Murenga Boys High School after a Njelele high spirit said to have assisted the local heroes who fought the First Chimurenga of 1896–7. The change of names did not occur but in its wake, as a compromise, the Games Houses within the school had their colonial names changed to those of rivers in Zimbabwe.
The school is currently a public, boarding and day school for boys aged 13 to 19. It provides education facilities to 1200+ boys in Forms I to VI. The school is served by a graduate staff of over 100 teachers. It was ranked 6th out of the top 100 best high schools in Africa by Africa Almanac in 2003, based upon quality of education, student engagement, strength and activities of alumni, school profile, internet and news visibility.It was also ranked as one of the Top 10 High Schools in Zimbabwe in 2014.
- Geoff Brakspear