Percy Missen Clark
Percy Missen Clark
Percy Missen Clark (b.1875) arrived from Cambridge, England in Rhodesia during the Boer War where he met Rhodes during his stay in Bulawayo. During this stay in Bulawayo he shared lodgings with another well-known publisher of Rhodesian postcards – Ellis Allen.
Clark established the first curio, or souvenir, shop, Clark’s Curios, in 1903 at Victoria Falls. He was also a photographer with many postcards bearing his images.
On 25th April, 1910, Clark was accepted as Fellow of the Royal Geographic Society (F.R.G.S.) after recommendations by British Archaeologist, Henry Balfour.
In 1924 he became a member of the Royal Photographic Society and in 1925 gained the title of Associate. This was reflected on a number of his postcards, bearing the title A.R.P.S. He also exhibited in their Annual Exhibitions. It appears he remained a member until 1928.
He died 9th April, 1937 due to cancer of the stomach in Livingstone, Northern Rhodesia survived by two children. One of his sons, Victor Clark, took over the Clark’s Curious store at Victoria Falls.
- A.R.P.S. Series
- Art Series
- Berlin Series
- England Red – Victoria Falls
- F.R.G.S. Series
- General Series I
- General Series II
- General Series III
- General Series IV – Victoria Falls
- General Series V
- German Green – Coloured Series
- McCorquodale & Co., Ltd – Bromide (Numbered)
- Sanbride – Percy M Clark
- Tokim: VF Series – Victoria Falls
- Tucks: Percy M Clark – Gold Series
- Valentine & Sons Ltd: 500 Series I (Percy M Clark)
- Valentine & Sons Ltd: 500 Series II (B&W) – Type I
- Valentine & Sons Ltd: 500 Series II (B&W) – Type II
- Valentine & Sons Ltd: Twelve Beautiful Views of the Victoria Falls
- Autobiography of an Old Drifter (1936) – Percy M. Clark
- Guide to the Victoria Falls (Fifth Edition 1925) – Percy M. Clark
- Journal of the Rhodesian Study Circle No.236
- Royal Geographic Society
- Royal Photographic Society
- Walter Herdzik
- Stuart Lawson
- Pete Roberts (www.tothevictoriafalls.com)
- Julian Schamroth
- Sean Burke
- Paul Peggie