Payne’s Studios Ltd – Bulawayo
Payne’s Studios Ltd
Edwin ‘Ted’ A. Payne was the first regular newsreel cameraman in South Africa. His weekly ‘Payne’s Mirror’ first appeared in 1912, a year before the first ‘African Mirror.’
He originally had a photographic studio in Long St, Cape Town which he later transferred to Bulawayo, Southern Rhodesia. Friend Lawrence Green remembered Payne’s box camera and large glass plates and reels of film that were screened at Wolfram’s and other Cape Town bioscopes.
By 1940, the Bulawayo business became known as Payne’s Studios Ltd.
It is believed that Edwin Payne was the photographer and publisher of the Camera House series of postcards.
Payne’s photographs have also been attributed to the following series:
- Journal of the Rhodesian Study Circle No.253
- A Taste of South-Easter – Lawrence G Green
- Andrew Wilkie
- James Gavin
- Terry Cowlard
- Keith Harrop
- Walter Herzik
- Malcolm Murphy