Nyadiri Girls School

Nyadiri Girls School

While Dr. Samuel Gurney was constructing a hospital, he also built a residence for missionaries from the Methodists Women’s Foreign Missionary Society (WFMS).  In March 1924, three women were appointed to Nyadiri “to open the Women’s work” (teaching, healing and evangelizing girls and women) – Misses F. Quinton, G. Clark and B. Ramsey.

The first year was a trying one.  Dr. Gurney died just few months after they arrived and they were left on their own. The rainy season the following November was an especially severe one preventing people from getting in or out of the mission.

Notwithstanding the challenges, with temporary buildings for the girls to live, they soon opened a girls’ school. By 1925 there were 72 girls in residence.

Vivian Otto joined the WFMS staff beginning 1953 and Miss Evelyn deVries served there as of September 1960.  The school (referred to as the “Girls’ Department” by the early 1960s) was still in operation as of 1995