Municipality of Hartley

Municipality of Hartley

 

The settlement of Hartley was originally located in the Hartley Hills 34 kilometres east of where the town is located today. Gold was discovered in the area and the Butterfly and Giant Mines were both established nearby. The settlement was moved to its present location in 1899. In 1901 the railway reached Hartley, which was proclaimed a village in 1903 and then a town in 1942.

A Town Council was established in 1968 and in 1974 Hartley was granted municipality status.

FB