Mufulira Copper Mines Ltd

Mufulira Copper Mines Ltd


Exploitation of the Mufulira property began in 1929 but was severely handicapped by the financial depression. Early in February, 1930, the Rhodesian Selection Trust, the British South Africa Company and the Bwana Mkubwa company agreed to sell the Mufulira Special Grant to Mufulira Copper Mines Ltd which incorporated 2nd March, 1930.

As a further measure to reduce the immediate capital and at the same time increase the efficiency by unifying the management, the Rhodesia Selection Trust decided that as of 1st December, 1930, all its properties in the Nkana concession would be transferred to the new company. The Rhodesian Selection Trust then became an investment holding company with approximately two-thirds interest in Mufulira Copper Mines Ltd.

By 1937, Mufulira began smelting.

In 1964 when Zambia achieved independence, there came a major switch in the structure of Zambia’s economy. The government declared its intention to acquire equity holdings (usually 51% or more) in a number of key foreign-owned firms. The Mufulira mine became state owned, eventually coming under the control of the Zambia Consolidated Copper Mines Ltd  (ZCCM).

In 2000, Mopani Copper Mines Plc worked on the acquisition and privatisation of the Zambia Consolidated Copper Mines Ltd assets at Mufulira and Nkana mine.


  • The Northern Rhodesia Copperbelt 1899-1962 – Francis L. Coleman
  • James Gavin
  • Walter Herdzik
Connect with us!