MILCOPEX is Wisconsin’s largest stamp show. In conjunction with the Philatelic Group of Greater Southern Africa (PSGSA), the show will celebrate the Pan-African Stamp Exhibition. It will also celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Christmas Philatelic Club.
- Date: 20th – 22nd September, 2019
- Location: Crowne Plaza Milwaukee Airport Hotel
- Website: www.milcopex.org
- Prospectus: 2019 MILCOPEX
- Price: Parking and admission is free.
On The Road – Introduction to the Seaposts
The American Philatelic Society will host its On the Road course on the day before the show. This course, taught by Gary Loew, will be Introduction to the Seaposts: Ship Letters, Packet Mail, Paquebots and More.
Gary is a specialist collector of Gambia and the 1935 Silver Jubilee issue. In addition to the APS course, he will be one of the speakers during the show.
- Date: 19th September, 2019
- Registrations: www.stamps.org/On-The-Road-Courses
The Six Triple Eight (documentary)
In February 1945, the U.S. Army sent 855 black women from the Women’s Army Air Corps (WACS) to England and France to clear the backlog of mail in the European Theater of Operations.
The 6888th Central Postal Directory Battallion , known as the Six Triple Eight, was the only all-black female battallion to serve in Europe in World War II. Confronted with racism and sexism from their own leadership and troops, they served with honor and distinction completing their mission in six months.
By war’s end, the SixTripleEight had cleared over 17 million pieces of backlogged mail ensuring that troops stayed in touch with their loved ones back home. The last of the women returned home in March 1946. They were never fully recognized….until now.
Screening times to be announced – check the schedule of events at Milcopex.org for days and times.
- Polish Refugees in Africa, World War I – Regis Hoffman
- Imperial Airways, England-Africa First Flights 1931-1932 – Walter Herdzik
- Allied Occupation of German East Africa, 1914-1920
- Sudan – The Postal Stationery
- Southern African Pioneers in World War II – Peter Thy
- Presenting BIAFRA, Printing and Plate Flaws and ALL – Van Siegling
- South Africa Revenues – 1st Issue
- Postal Stationery: South Africa Republic 1869-1900
- Orange Free State Overseas Letter Rates – 1868-UPU
- Polish Refugees in Africa – Regis Hoffman
- Stamps and Postal History of the British Colony of Natal – Keith Klugman
- South African Airletters and Aerogrammes – Gary Brown
- The Philately of Rhodesia and Nyasaland 1954-1964
- The Registration Envelopes of the Bechuanalands
- Northern Rhodesia to North America 1925-1954, and
- A Typology of Botswana Meter Mark
- Bechuanaland – Peter Thy
- Fun with French Congo’s 1900 Pictorial Issue” – Ken Nilsestuen
- Create Your Own Specialised Catalogue Numbering System – Van Siegling
- Stamps…Who Needs Them? Lessons Learned on the Development of Typologies and Cataloguing the Non-Stamped Postal History of Botswana. – Gordon Smith
- Solving the Mystery of Specimen Stamp Irregular Blocks – Gary Loew
- Expertizing: Why Every Stamp and Cover Collector Should Care – Gary Loew
- HipStamp LIVE event