Methodist Episcopal Church: Marange Mission
Methodist Episcopal Church
The Methodist Episcopal Church established Marange Mission (earlier known as Mt. Makomwe mission), about 40 miles southwest of Mutare (Umtali) near Odzi, Zimbabwe in 1904-05 as an outstation.
A site was selected on the side of Mount Makomwe. Revered E. H. Greeley was the first missionary. He began his work of preaching under a large tree. “He kept on faithfully in spite of indifference and after a time more interest was show by increased numbers.”
By 1907, a school, church and dispensary had been established. New buildings were built in 1916 to replace cracking walls. As of 1920, a railway station was located 3 miles away and the mission had 650 acres of land. A boarding school was opened and the Methodist Women donated a Girls Hostel opened officially by Mrs. Sells. The mission was part of the Marange circuit, within the Mutambara District.
The boarding school and mission were abandoned in 1951. It was later revived and the mission center jointly run by the Anglicans, Methodists and the local community. In 1995, Marange returned to the control of the United Methodist Church (UMC). It is presently known as the “Marange UMC Center” and is the site of a church, the Mt. Makomwe Primary School (with enrollment of over 500) and Marange High School.
- Annual Reports of the Board of Foreign Missions of the Methodist Episcopal Church
- Record of Christian Work, 1908.
- The United Methodist Church Zimbabwe Annual Conference Special Centennial Session, 1997 Annual Report
- Mark Loomis