Malamulo Mission: Malamulo Mission Hospital
Malamulo Mission Hospital
Medical work at Malamulo Mission began in 1915 with the opening of a medical clinic by Irene Fourie, a hydro therapist from the United States. The level of medical service significantly increased in 1925 with the arrival of Dr. Carl Birkenstock from South Africa and construction of new buildings. One of Dr. Birkenstock’s largest contributions was in the treatment of lepers. In response to the increasing number of leper patients, a separate facility (“leper colony” or leprosarium) was built on the mission site. By 1962, the leprosarium was treating 300 in-patients and 250 outpatients. The facility was closed in 1979.
The lack of trained medical staff led to the founding of what is now the Malamulo Medical School (Malamulo College of Health Sciences). A 3-year hospital assistant course was opened in 1935. A 4-year medical assistants program and training for nurses and midwifery were later added.
Malamulo Hospital today is a 200-bed facility providing preventative health care services and specialized services in women’s and child’s health, infectious diseases, chronic disease and general surgery. Typical cases include pneumonia, malaria, TB, HIV complications, dehydration and meningitis. The hospital is managed by Adventist Health International and hosts the Loma Linda University Field Station. The hospital also has a 5-year surgical training program accredited through the Pan-African Academy of Christian Surgeons (PAACS).
- Aspects of the Centenary History of Malamulo Seventh-day Adventist Mission – Yonah H. Matemba,
- The Seventh-day Adventist Church in Malawi, 1900-1980 – Jaspine D. Bilima,
- Malamulo Hospital celebrates 100 years of caring
- James Gavin