Lonely Mine is a village in Matabeleland North, Zimbabwe and is located about 84 km north-east of Bulawayo, just north of Inyati and a mile from Inyati Mission. It was established in 1906 when gold was discovered in the area.
The first gold outputs were in 1907 and for the first 20 years the output was half an ounce to the ton, although half of that time it was an ounce to the ton. The mine was closed in 1944 but later re-instated and became the largest gold producer in the Bubi greenstone belt area until the mid-1990’s.
In 2012 Lonely Mine was acquired by Australian company ElDore Mining Corporation (EDM) for US$4.4million. EDM changed its name to Ardiden Limited in 2014. Gold, nickel and tungsten are still mined in the area today.
Initially, mail was delivered by coach to Inyati. Between 7 September 1914 to 30 April 1916, a motor service delivered mail. On 22 September 1925 this was replaced by a daily mail service from Bulawayo.
- 00.11.1911 – Opened as a Post Office
- 31.12.1911 – Regraded as a Postal Agency
- 27.03.1912 – Opened as a Postal Agency
- 27.11.1912 – Regraded as a Money and Telegraph Office
- 01.07.1944 – Post & Telegraph Agency
- 29.12.1978 – Closed
- Chris Robinson