Leopard Rock Hotel

Leopard Rock Hotel

Vumba

Leopard Rock Hotel was built and opened by the Seymour-Smiths in 1946. The Seymour-Smiths were a well-known local family who decided after the Second World War that a need existed for a holiday hotel at the top of the Bvumba Mountains.

When opened, the hotel offered accommodation for up to 40 guests, reached by travelling up a gravel road which climbed hundreds of metres from Umtali and wound through the mountainsides. A simple but amusing nine-hole golf course was built on the hotel’s estate and the hotel promoted itself as a venue for people who enjoyed the invigorating climate and communing with nature.

As part of the 1953 Royal Tour, the Queen Mother and Princess Margaret stayed at the hotel and were so taken with the hotel and its spectacular surroundings that she was inspired to pen these words for posterity; “There is nowhere more beautiful in Africa.”

Leopard Rock Hotel was then purchased by the Taberer family in the 1990s and a major expansion project was undertaken, which saw the construction of a new bedroom block –increasing the number of available rooms and suites to accommodate 120 guests. The hotel is now owned and operated by Cambria Africa plc previously Lonzim.’

In 2011 and 2012, the hotel was named Best Resort Hotel in Zimbabwe by the Association of Zimbabwean Travel Agents in their respected annual awards event. In 2013, CNN Travel named the Leopard Rock golf course one of Africa’s 10 best golf courses.

Postcards

References

FB