Barry Grey Lennon, an Irish chemist and nephew of the Governor of Cape of Good Hope, Sir George Grey, settled in Cape of Good Hope on suggestion of his uncle. In 1850 he opened a chemist and druggist in Port Elizabeth as B. G. Lennon and Co. Ltd. Their shops were to be found in most major towns in Cape Province, Natal, Orange Free State and Transvaal.
It was, therefore, only logical that their business interests be extended to Matabeleland (Bulawayo) and Mashonaland (Salisbury) to cater for the expected influx of settlers into those new territories.In 1894 they became the first commercial pharmacy in Bulawayo.
On 29th December, 1898, Lennon Limited became a registered company.
By 1930, the business had become the largest pharmaceutical business in the southern hemisphere. During the 1950-60’s, Lennon Limited was one of a number of pharmaceutical companies that amalgamated in an effort to consolidate the pharmaceutical industry. In 1968, the South African Druggists group, which now included Lennon Limited, was listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange.
In 1975 the company opened a Research and Development Department to develop and register generic products. This was in response to the Medicines and Related Substances Act of 1965. By 1988 they had become leaders in their field.
In 1999, Aspen acquired South African Druggists through a hostile R2.4billion takeover. Aspen Holdings continues to trade today.
- Chemist And Druggist, May 1915
- Directory of Bulawayo and Handbook to Matabeleland 1895-1896 – Alexander Davis
- Journal of the Rhodesian Study Circle No.242
- Pharmaceutical Society of Zimbabwe
- Richard Barnett
- Geoff Brakspear
- James Gavin
- Keith Harrop
- Malcolm Murphy
- Andrew Wilkie
- Walter Herdzik