Lennon Limited: Bulawayo
The Bulawayo branch of Lennon Limited opened in 1894 and was first managed by Mr. C. F. Conrath, and later by Mr. Charles Cattel in 1895. During that time, the premises were at the corner of Fife Street and Sixth Avenue. The firm was joined in 1897 by Mr. W. J. Brickle, who later became manager after Mr. Cattel left for England in 1900. New premises were acquired in Selborne Avenue in 1902.
Lennon’s, as part of their business, promoted the sale of photographic goods for their customers including postcards.
In a 1930 advertisement they were “doing photography” and in 1937 their Photographic Department in Bulawayo was managed by Edward Roper Yerbury. Yerbury was a trained photographer from Edinburgh and secretary of the Rhodesia Photographic Society when it staged its exhibition in Bulawayo in July, 1939. He tragically died in a motorcycle incident in Bulawayo in June, 1940.
However, by 1953, in their advertisement in “The City of Bulawayo Official Guide” they made no reference to photographic goods or to photography. It would appear the Abercorn Street Chemists shop had closed as their current advertisement only gave the address of 67a, Fife Street, Bulawayo.