Johnson & Fletcher Ltd.

Johnson & Fletcher Ltd.

Bulawayo/Beira/Que Que/Salisbury/Umtali

In 1897 Harold Clarkson Fletcher (1869-1950) and George Johnson (1869-1947) opened a consulting and general engineering business in Southern Rhodesia, under the name Johnson & Fletcher, with branches in Bulawayo, Salisbury and Beira. The business began by supplying parts and equipment to the gold mining companies. George Johnson was personally responsible for the first A.C. generating plant in Rhodesia and the firm erected the first cyanide plant for the extraction of gold.

Fletcher appears to have managed the Bulawayo office, for he represented the firm in that city for the rest of his career. In 1898 he became a member of the South African Association of Engineers and Architects (also its successor, the South African Institution of Engineers) and in 1901 he joined the Rhodesia Scientific Association, established in Bulawayo in 1899.

During the 1930’s, it appears the firm expanded its interests as they were now listed as Timber Merchants.

In 1940 Fletcher was a corresponding member of the council of the Chemical, Metallurgical and Mining Society of South Africa and by 1944 he was Managing Director of the firm. The business had also further developed and was noted for Mining, Electrical and Building Requisites.

In 2010, the last branches was closed by PG Industries.

Reference

Connect with us!