John Charles Heinrich

John Charles Heinrich

1922-1995

 

John Charles Heinrich was born in Pittsburgh July 1922.  His parents were missionaries to India.  Mr. Heinrich was educated at Stony Brook Preparatory School on Long Island, Oberlin College, Yale Divinity School, and Cornell University.  After college, he served as a lieutenant in the Infantry during WWII, seeing action at the Battle of the Bulge.  He married Barbara D. Corson in 1945.  After earning her PhD in Religion from Yale Divinity, Mrs. Heinrich was ordained along with her husband as one of the first female ministers in the United Church of Christ (UCC) (successor to the American Board of Commissioners).

The Heinrichs served as missionaries in Africa from 1951 to 1970, first in Southern Rhodesia (Zimbabwe) at Mt. Silinda and Chikore and later in Northern Rhodesia (Zambia).  At Mt. Silinda, John was supeviosr of primary schools, mission treasurer, church superintendent.  At Chikore church John was church pastor and Barbara “worked with women.”  The Heinrichs were deported from Southern Rhodesia in 1964 for their opposition to the government’s apartheid policies.

After retiring from missionary service, John became an adjunct teacher at Syracuse University.  In 1981, the Heinrich’s moved to Alva, Florida, where they co-founded the Lee Co. Coalition for Peace (forerunner of the Environmental and Peace Education Center).  John died January 1995.  Barbara died October 2007.

References

Contributors
  • Mark Loomis