Internment Camps: Southern Rhodesia – Camp No.2 (Tanganyika)
Southern Rhodesia – Camp No.2 (Tanganyika)
Camp No.2 was located south of Salisbury. Originally it was intended for Italian internees but later was allocated for women and children internees from Tanganyika.
Tanganyika supplied £40,000 for the construction of the compound to be completed in January, 1941. The planned camp was to consist of 80 blocks, serviced by six communal wash-houses. 160 cottages measured 12 x 10 feet with a small kitchen. These later became known as Beatrice Cottages. These cottages were intended to supply housing after the war.
The camp was closed in October, 1945.
- Keith Harrop