International Red Locust Control Service

International Red Locust Control Service

Abercorn

The International Red Locust Control Service (IRLCS) was established by an international convention on 22nd February, 1949. The formation of IRLCS was partly a result of nearly 15 years’ work to identify sources of Red Locust (Nomadacris septemfasciata Serville) plagues and to prevent their re-occurrence.

A plague of Red Locusts, which started in 1929 and ended in 1944, had affected most of Africa south of the equator and some areas further north. For the organisation to achieve its objectives, its strategy was first to identify the source of the plague and then to control hopper bands and incipient swarms.

For more than 40 years this strategy was effective. Consequently, the organisation expanded its mandate to include the management of other migratory pests, viz. African Armyworm, Spodoptera exempta, and quelea birds, Quelea quelea. The organisation was superseded International Red Locust Control Organization for Central and Southern Africa (IRLCO-CSA) on Sept 14th, 1970.

References